3030 And Sizing

There are two very good threads now on the CTX 3030.  One function that I don't see discussed is the use of sizing .

This feature was available on the Explorers and it would allow you to accept or reject targets and size them.  You could make that target look bigger or smaller with sizing.  Anything close would be included in that ID.  This is a specific 'carve-out' which is different than the two 'modes' you can use in each program.

Most of the time I hunt with the 3030 in All Metal mode (smooth only) on any of the programs.  I have downloaded other programs but I am most familiar with the sounds of the coin and beach programs so I go to them no matter where I am.  I have used in high iron trash the rejected iron and trash patterns by hitting the detect a second time.

There are times on the beach when I switch between the different sizes.

Have you other 3030 users found a useful time to change the sizing?  (High trash/lots of targets maybe on smaller sizing?)

Mitchel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Have you other 3030 users found a useful time to change the sizing?  (High trash/lots of targets maybe on smaller sizing?)

Hi Mitchel,

I'm new to the 3030 so I don't understand what "sizing" does?  Prior to the 3030 I have never used any other minelab mutifrequency detector so using one is all new to me.  

Thanks

Terry

Not sure but I think you are referring to the ability to adjust the size of the auto accept/reject area.?  With the 3030 you have the ability to adjust to three different sizes  I've used it to notch out zinc pennies and it works good but will not notch out all of them due to different decaying states of the pennies.  Depending on the size of the area notched out you can still get a "toned down" signal that comes through. 

Pinpoint sizing is another feature. It allows the signal to get louder as the coil is passed over the target and you can determine the size of the target by the size of the red blob when in "pinpoint sizing"  I leave the 3030 in "Pinpoint sizing" along with target trace and target trace pinpoint. I also like hunting with an open screen ie all metal when conditions permit.

Sorry if I'm on the wrong track with your question.

strick

• Like 1

What strick said. The accept/reject function does allow you to choose how many blocks to edit at once, but it is just an editor option. When I think sizing I tend to think in terms of "sizing the target" via the pinpointing methodology to help determine whether the item found is dime sized or sprinkler head sized.

I tend to hunt wide open screen with full tones so I rarely reject items outright. That being the case this function gets little use on my machine.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I agree also with Strick.  Then Steve put up the Edit Frame Size.

I noticed when I was out today that it was Edit Frame size as the wording.  That is what I was interested in 'using' if it was helpful.  So when would I need to edit a pattern?  Is that just the 'accept/reject, dark/light' pattern that is left?

It seems that this has nothing to do with send/receive functions of the detector.  Does it make any difference what Edit Frame size is while detecting?  Does the Edit Frame size have any effect on sounds?

Now on to Strick's other observation.  Zinc Pennies

These will be the bane of metal detector companies for years to come.  Until the last couple of years it has seemed 'manageable' but now it is impossible to know these sounds because they are in pieces and corroded to a point they can imitate other good objects.  I have had them sound like rings, dimes, pull tabs ... all over my screen!  You just can't ignore all of them.  The copper pennies on the beach now get a dime or sometimes a quarter sound (high pitched).

This brings up another way I use my 3030.  I listen and look at the screen and never run it in numbers screen.  I care if it is in the upper right (silver) or the middle-left (round/ring) or bottom (irons/steel).  That is how I use the 'spectrometer' functions of the 3030 which is a graph of the numbers.

You can edit a screen so that light areas go beep and gray areas do not (target rejected). All the frame does it let you choose how many blocks to edit at a time. If you need to block out a big chunk a larger edit frame makes sense. if you are working on the details and for areas that are not exactly square smaller frame sizes are needed. The 1 x 1 block corresponds to exactly one place on the screen that has one reading, like 12-24. If you just wanted to block 12-24 you use the 1 x 1 frame and turn that location gray.

Very few items read that tight, so you might want to block every reading surrounding 12-24 (11-23, 11-24, 11-25, 12-23, 12-25, 13-23, 13-24, and 13-25). This would mean you had to edit nine locations one at a time using the 1 x 1 frame.

Or you could use a 3 x 3 frame and block that whole 9 segment area in one shot. Default is 3 x 3 (nine segment block). The largest 5 x 5 knocks out 25 segments at one time.

That is all it is - an editing function. It does nothing else except block out or open areas on the screen.

If you always use a wide open screen it is a useless function because all frame size is for is setting up white/gray patterns on a hunt screen.

An example http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/beach-hunting-with-the-ctx-3030-part-3

• Like 2

Mitchel;

I think you are missing out by not using the f/c numbers as an aid...for common coins, especially old coins I find the numbers very helpful.

I have considered building a program by finding and editing every junk item I find. To do that I would use the smallest square...however, after a days detecting I think the sceen would be mostly blocked...no good to be found there...

You are correct on the worthless zinc curse...what a waste of money-two cents to make a penny that will corrode over night...the epitome of government waste!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

So when would I need to edit a pattern?  Is that just the 'accept/reject, dark/light' pattern that is left?

It seems that this has nothing to do with send/receive functions of the detector.  Does it make any difference what Edit Frame size is while detecting?  Does the Edit Frame size have any effect on sounds?

This brings up another way I use my 3030.  I listen and look at the screen and never run it in numbers screen.  I care if it is in the upper right (silver) or the middle-left (round/ring) or bottom (irons/steel).  That is how I use the 'spectrometer' functions of the 3030 which is a graph of the numbers.

HI Mitchel

Like you my ctx is my main squeeze....I've only had it a couple years now but have a basic understanding of it's functions. To hopefully help with your questions:

1. Yes to edit a pattern just hit the accept/reject button when you find a target you don't want and it will make a square (size depending on what you have pre-chosen) .

2. It definitely effects the  "receive function" of the machine...

3. The bigger the edit square size the more sound (target id) it blocks out...

4. Yes it will effect the tone of the sounds that you hear. The smaller the square size the less it effects the tone. 

In my case I have a program that I really like called "Doc's Ferrous coin" I use it in combined mode. It used to be on the  Findmall CTX  site. The program in it's discrimination pattern will virtually eliminate most pop off bottle caps. It does detect twist off bottle caps. I wanted it to reject zinc pennies so I started notching them out with the edit function. Problem with the Zinc Pennies as you have mentioned is that they can ring in anywhere in the dig-able range of good targets. I've found that notching out stuff does nothing but reduce the size of my treasure chest.

strick

• Like 3

Thanks Strick.

Mitchel, are those threads on this forum? Got a link?