Cashing In Clad

Thumlers Model B, aquarium rock, CLR and some dish soap cleans them up fairly well. Have not deposited any yet but will find out how the machines react to them.

strick 

7 minutes ago, strick said:

...CLR...

I've been experimenting with tumbler cleaning concoctions.  CLR is an acid and unfortunately turns some coins an unsightly orange color -- the ones that aren't already that color.  The problem I've had with all my washings so far is that the surface coins' finish when completed tumbling&cleaning is not smooth.  I don't know if this will cause them to be rejected in the auto-counting machines, though.  (I've so far been using only river/creek gravel, about 1/4" size and smaller, as the 'abrasive'/mechanical medium to go along with various chemicals/household cleaners.)

28 minutes ago, matt said:

I saw a video from gigmeister on youtube and followed his results using stainless steel shot....

I haven't tried stainless steel shot -- sounds like I should give it a whirl.  Thanks, matt.  If not too much trouble would you post here the YouTube video that you refer to?

• Like 1

Good to know....I only put a splash in the mix with lots of water and a little soap cleans them up nicely...I have not seen what you are seeing with the CLR maybe your putting in too much? 

strick 

3 minutes ago, strick said:

I have not seen what you are seeing with the CLR maybe your putting in too much?

Quite possible.

Do not tumble copper pennies with clad, best to get a dual tank tumbler.

If even one gets in with the clad it can turn them all. 😵 

I've used stainless shot and aquarium gravel, they work about the same but the gravel is cheaper.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, matt said:

Here you go!

(See matt's post to find the 13:47 m::s video by Gigmaster.)  Thanks for posting that, matt.  I haven't watched too many of his videos but the ones I've seen (none comparing detectors, if he even does that) have been great.  I don't know if he's a trained scientist but he sure uses proper scientific techniques, unlike so many....  (OK, enough of that.  :unsure:)

His title says "beach coins" but the pre-clean patina looks a lot like what I find in the turf.  (My worst coins have that 'natural' orange acid etch.  I don't see those in his tests.  But most of mine are just dark gray or dark brown.)  I'm definitely going to get some stainless steel shot now.

One thing I'm trying to do is not to spend a lot of money to simply get stuff in shape to cash in.  There are the initial costs (particlarly the tumbler) and although I haven't figured out the electricity cost, which might be tiny(?), there's no reason to run the tumbler longer than necessary and put wear-and-tear on it.  I've been running for 2 1/2 to 3 hours based upon other videos' recommendations.  Don't know if that's optimal.   Gigmaster only ran for 1 hour.  BTW, the manuals (my Lortone one anyway) talk about not exceeding a max gross weight limit.  IMO that should be followed.  Basically about half full (combined coins, medium, cleaners, and water) seems to be about right in my 3 lb (gross, not net!) rated (single cylinder) model.

These tumblers are mostly sold for shining up rocks and minerals.  But the Lortone manual talks about cleaning&shining jewerly (without the precious mineral settings!) and recommends stainless steel shot for that, including for silver (but they don't mention gold... 🤔).

Buy a cheapo Harbor Freight Tumbler (https://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-rotary-rock-tumbler-67631.html), some aquarium gravel, Dawn and liquid ammonia.  Fill drum 1/2 full of coins (separate pennies).  Add a shot glass of Dawn and a shot glass of ammonia.  Toss in one handful of gravel.  Tumble for 3 - 4 hours.  Done.  I've been doing this for years.  It's inexpensive and cleans all but but the worst zincs right up.

FYI I have the dual drum but the motor gets tired after a few years and now I can only do one full drum at a time.  Better to save the $20.00 and get the single drum.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Add a shot glass of Dawn and a shot glass of ammonia.

Do you run your tumbler outside?  (I'm not so fond of ammonia fumes....)