Just got a next to new NEL Snake coil for my G2+ and in air testing it it seems really hot, more sensitivity than the 5" round coil. Maybe in 2-3 weeks the ground will be ready for some nuggeting here in N NV. I love the simplicity of this machine, but don't like the 'speedometer' in all-metal--it doesn't register on faint sounds, so you gotta dig. Usually the pick magnet will make things easier. I have found 2 grain pieces with it, but usually use the Monster. It goes with me on my occasional relic hunts and does well. Got it when they had that special a few years ago that someone posted here on DP. Strange how the First Texas new detectors have become so pricey, they're becoming rare!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned an original Fisher F19 with the elliptical coil since they were released.  I guess I've owned a hundred detectors or more starting with a Relco in 1969.  The F19 is still a very capable detector, and ID's at its full depth.  I've found as many relics with the F19 as I have with all my others combined, simply because I like using it.  And I can give it to a first timer after a few minutes instruction and they will be successful.  It also does fairly well in mineralized ground if you know the machine.  I bought a Time Ranger Pro recently and am glad I did.  Neither is the deepest detector you can buy, but their ID is accurate throughout their depth range.  I picked up an Xterra Pro Friday from Cabela's.  It's a lot of machine for the money, as is the Quest X10 Pro and the Simplex, among others.  I've owned all the Xterras over the years and love the tones of the Minelabs.  The Pro has a lot of great features and I'm sure it will be a good performer.  I own a convenience store/deli and talk relic hunting with a lot of my customers.  Many ask me what to buy as first time relic hunters.  The Pro is not the answer.  There's just too much to learn there for a first timer, and would probably end up in a closet in short order.  It's a fairly advanced machine.   

• Like 3

The fact the 19kHz detectors that First Texas make do appear to ID something like a coin to the depth of detection makes me wonder why they haven't released a 19kHz Nitro Turbo Boosted edition where they let you crank that gain up even further.  I tend to run my Gold Bug Pro basically maxed out most of the time in sensitivity and it handles that quite well, not too much EMI interference and pretty stable, if I could turn that knob a bit more I would.  I'm very happy with it's Target ID performance for the purpose of coin hunting for a single frequency detector.

The Simplex seems to have a higher gain, it has a range where it runs reasonably stable and when it goes wild, it has two firmware choices available as some didn't like the latest one so there is a rollback option.  One detects deeper targets with no target ID at all, just some audio, the other gives you wild target ID's on the deeper targets.   In saying that the Simplex isn't a very deep machine by any means for me but they're at least letting you run it to it's full potential however limited that is, the 19kHz Fishers are deeper and ID to better depths easily.

But if 19kHz machines are so stable at max gain, ID to the depth of detection there just has to be more in the tank they could offer where the machine can get a bit unstable, where the machine will go wild on ID's on deep targets, It would be great if they opened up that untapped potential of the detector.

It's a shame they can't firmware update like modern detectors as I'd not buy another one to get that imaginary update, but I'd happily flash it on if I could.

• Like 1

I still have an f-19...cant say I use it anymore. Holding on to it, because a good friend...carpenter I work with...is interested in detecting, perfect detector for new person.