What's Up With My Garrett Pro-Pointer At?

Sounds like the low battery alert. It may not be able to hold good contact if cracked.

I haven’t experienced your issue but have had mine come on without any sensitivity and I’ve had to recycle power.  I can’t seem to memorize the ways it can be set for less sensitivity and it has gotten in less sensitive modes without my intent. In fact I never want that and wish it would just work in high sensitivity mode on power up each time. Gets annoying if you are digging a lot of targets. I’ve sent mine in for repair and gotten it back the same way but new enclosure. I do think my first worked better than subsequent units.

2 hours ago, JCR said:

Sounds like the low battery alert. It may not be able to hold good contact if cracked.

That's it! Why ship this thing with a Duracell that's only good for about 10 turn on/turn offs? Also I guess it just happened to go low on the time I dropped it and tried to turn it on to check it. What a coincidence. I guess that was what was wrong with my first one right out of the box. I don't recall reading about the low battery alarm, I figured it's vibrating a bunch so the battery should be good. Ha!

Thanks JCR. I owe the forum one for saving me the trouble of returning. Doesn't hurt to ask for knowledge here.

• Like 3

I don't know if you have anywhere selling these nearby but they're the perfect pair up for the Carrot.  I've been using the same battery for years in mine and never had an issue, they run for a long time between charges too,

mhr9v__44267.thumb.jpg.d1cf08d96b8979cbd927ed63077d0ccf.jpg

https://mahaenergy.com/powerex-9-6v-230mah-1-pack/

They have a slightly higher capacity than a standard 9v non-rechargeable battery which is a good thing.  I run them in everything that needs a 9v battery with great success. 

The other fantastic batteries are the Panasonic Eneloops, but they're in the AA and AAA sizes, a true test for them for me has been my weather station which is now 9 years old and still on the original white eneloop batteries, it's out there in winter being frozen for months then in summer in the heat and the weather station only has a tiny solar panel but they've stayed charged and working broadcasting the weather data back to it's base station 70 meters away for 9 years now and still going strong. 

I use them in all my detectors that require AA batteries also with great success.

• Like 3

I have been using the same Energizer rechargeable 9Vs  in my Garrett Pro Pointers for 5 years now. They last a long time but I keep a 9V Lithium spare in my pouch at all times. There is not much warning for low voltage.

• Like 1