Anyone Not Able To Post?

First thing I'd always do is try a different browser, plenty of choices there, it could even be to do with font sizes/screen scaling seeing it sounds like the reply box is there but scaled incorrectly so can't be used, if people are using larger than standard fonts or have any resizing going on to make things larger for them to see better it may end up being the issue so I'd try shrinking things back to normal sizing and see if that helps.  It could be something fixed up on newer IOS or Safari versions but an issue with older ones.

Worth a try for anyone stuck unable to post to see if it helps.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents:
As Steve knows, I have an outdated PC, which struggles with some things.
I've had this 'thin wide useless text box' problem for many months, since September, perhaps.

It can be crudely resolved by turning off Javascript. I then get a full text box, but zero in the way of top-menu niceties, like basic font size/colour/italics/bold etc options. And external html links don't auto-parse, so just appear as plain text.
As 'BB-Code' is no longer supported here ( on new posts ) I have to use my dodgy html skills to get some features to work ... or wait until I get on a more modern computer, and edit the post.

Turning off Javascript is a bit of a fiddle .. some browsers have it as a simple option on the top menus. Firefox is a pain ( these days ), though I've got it sorted out.

Update: for what it's worth, I turned on the 'web developer' debugging feature on my Firefox. The scripting errors it spits out in the area of the 'posting box' all seem related to 'jquery' and 'jqmigrate'., which looks new-ish, I don't recall seeing it before:

JQMIGRATE: jQuery.fn.bind() is deprecated
JQMIGRATE: JQMIGRATE: jQuery.cssProps is deprecated

With Firefox in the box where you enter the webpage address you want to go to you just type

About:config

and press enter

Click on accept risk and continue

In the search preference name box type Javascript

It will say

Javascript Enabled : TRUE

change that to FALSE

It also gives you any other Javascript options once you've filled in the search.

• Thanks 1

I didn't bother detailing it all, especially as it would be irrelevant to iPad type folks.
But seeing as you've kinda done it anyway, here's my version:

Open a new tab, and type in About:config in the address bar.
Then 'Bookmark' that page, so you don't have to fanny about typing it every time, simply choose it from your list of bookmarked pages.
In the about:config page's search box, type 'ja' ( without the quotes ), and at/near the top of the ja..... options, is 'javascript.enabled'. Double-click will toggle it's 'Value' true/false ( ie. On/Off )
Keep the about:config page tab open, so it's there ready for when it's needed.

I'm sure there is a Firefox browser add-on that simply gives you a button for scripting on/off, which may be useful to some people.

[ it used to be a drop-down menu option on Firefox at one time, under 'Options', but in their wisdom, they broke it.]

3 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

I didn't bother detailing it all, especially as it would be irrelevant to iPad type folks.

yea, they can use Firefox on IOS but it doesn't allow them to disable Javascript.

I use the NoScript browser plugin. Allows me to decide what scripts run on any site/page. Ghostery is also a good plugin. There are a lot of poorly implemented scripts that can cause crashes and hangups.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 1:05 AM, phrunt said:

Those unable to post probably can't post a reply here? 🙂

I know @Jim Hemmingway was having trouble posting for some time, but I think he's got it sorted out now.

Hopefully any tips given out here give those with the problem the clues they need to resolve it.

Thanks Simon for remembering my posting issues. Currently I'm using my wife's tablet, it works fine but I wish my aging computer would work properly. No doubt I would more actively participate here if it were possible to type on a keyboard instead of one letter at a time using my index finger.

My computer allows me to do a basic "like" but that's it. I cannot do a message. I cannot even open TreasureNet. Currently using Chrome. The easy solution is to replace it, but I do enjoy using it for music, photography, and extensive writing about a wonderful hobby that has provided me with a lifetime of memorable adventures and numerous friendships / acquaintances.  I'd dislike to abandon the old thing... reminds me of the wife, but the old girl is a bit more reliable. 🙂

Jim.

• Like 2

@Jim Hemmingway

I don't use Chrome, but here is a website guide to turning on/off scripting in Chrome:

https://www.lifewire.com/disable-javascript-in-google-chrome-4103631

disable-javascript-in-google-chrome

Other options are:
Use the most recent version of Chrome, that works OK with your version of Windows
( if you tell us what Windows you have, we can work out what Chrome is suitable )

Using an additional different browser ( you can keep the Chrome going )
Suggested choices are Mozilla Firefox, and Opera.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was the one who brought this issue to Steve’s attention when my IPad just spontaneously got the problem. I had to PM him via my partner’s laptop to inform him about it.

Well guess what... today my postbox has miraculously returned to normal on my IPad and this post is coming from it. Bloody ripper !!!

I did initially try all the suggested fixes to no avail and just resigned myself to no posting, so yeah, no idea really. Just glad it’s back working.

• Like 1

Looks like two birds were killed with one stone with the fix that just happened.  Nice to hear its resolved.

• Like 1