My First Gold Found With A Garrett Axiom

That's awesome, and an incredible first ever gold find!  Where there is one there is more! Good luck.

• Like 2

Just what the doctor ordered!  All of your missed gold put into a nice chunk of a specimen.  There are some formulas for weighing the rock in and out of water.  When you do that you can determine the amount of AU!

Congratulations.

You stuck with it and got a reward.

Was your buddy using an Axiom also?

• Like 2

Thank you for the comments.  My buddy is using a new Equinox 900 which appears to be a very good VLF detector.  I have some graduated cylinders, beakers and a precision scale on-the-way.  I hope to calculate the amount of Au.  I'm planning to fill one beaker completely full of water.  Place the specimen in the beaker and capture the water over-flow.  I'll then measure the over-flowed water in graduated cylinder.   With this data I can calculated weight of quartz for that volume.  The difference between calculated weight and measured weight should be the approximate weight of the Au.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Az_Ed said:

I'm planning to fill one beaker completely full of water.  Place the specimen in the beaker and capture the water over-flow.  I'll then measure the over-flowed water in graduated cylinder.

There's a more accurate way to get specific gravity (S.G.).  The problem with direct volume measurement (e.g. with graduated cylinder) is that it seldom is sufficiently accurate.

See this video for the Archimedes S.G. determination method.  There's another similar way which works for scales that have insufficient dynamic range to handle a beaker full of water.  When I get some time (gotta run right now) I'll show how to do that.

Nice find!