I know most of you detect for gold and it is very dry out west, but I like to dredge. There is not many nuggets here in Ohio, just small gold and in some places there is quit a lot. I was just thinking about looking for a air compressor to use with a small motor . The creeks are not very deep, most I can use a Snokel and mask, but would like to have air. Dose anyone know where I can get a good used compressor? I have a 2" Keens dredge and a 3" Keens Highbanker dredge combo. Steve have you sold all your dredge parts when you moved from AK. ? I just wish CA. would let people dredge, I would  like to get out there sometime where there is some real nice gold. Thanks Flintstone

For many years dredging was about the only way I found gold in Akaska. As a mining method it is far more reliable and consistent than metal detecting. However, with extreme low gold prices around 1998 I hung it up as too much miserable cold work. My last major use of a gold dredge was about three years ago.

Ironically I figured when I moved south I would take it back up again, the attraction of warm water being too incredible to ignore. The minute I made the move the moratorium was imposed in California. So much for that idea. I did sell most of my gear when I left Alaska but I do have a few odds and ends to dispose of. The only thing air related I have left is a hookah regulator which I will put in classifieds today.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:35 AM, Dean Stone said:

There is not many nuggets here in Ohio, just small gold and in some places there is quit a lot

Hey Dean,

Where about in Ohio do you live?  I am originally from Ohio, from the Newark, Granville, Heath area.  I never tried dredging in Ohio but I have heard there there are some places along the Kokosing River and around Bellville area. There's some pretty good small mouth bass fishing in the Kokosing as well.  Get you some soft crawls and you'll have a lot of fun there between fishing and dredging.  The GPAA has some claims over that way also.  I have done a little dredging in AK but it would be best to get you a suitable compressor for sure.  

Terry

I have a 2 inch suction nozzle dredge I built over the winter but have yet to float it yet.We usually try out spots in central Indiana, roughly within 100 mile radius of Indianapolis,  where we can use up to 4 inch nozzles. If it were not for this years new crop of aches and pains,I'd be out digging/dredging/highbanking by now.  But with 2 tennis elbows, I can't hardly lift anything yet, much less do dredging and dragging equipment around. Might have to wait til late summer, early fall much as I hate to. Getting old kinda sucks with aches and pains but as my father kept saying, it beats the  alternative. Where do you go in Ohio ? Is the Swank farm worth traveling to from Chicago area? Isn't there a BIG gold show there every year? Is there any gold down by Cincinatti area in sw Ohio?

-Tom

I dredge as much as I possibly can.  I just returned from a two week dredging trip, story to follow when I get a little time.  

Recently As far as purchasing needed dredge relate items I had a great experience with Armadillo Mining out of Oregon. I do not know if they sell used equipment but they had everything I was looking for which was kind of some odd parts.  

Hi Terry, I lived in Columbus Ohio for about 22 years, then broke my back and moved just accrose the river in KY.The Kokosing  river did have good gold but can't go there now because of some small shell that is in there. Down at BrainBridge Ohio has the best gold better than other placers in Ohio. I know about the fishing I love that to, I like to set poles and dredge till I get something, that's getting two birds with one stone.   -- Tom I know all about those aces and pains, sometimes after a day of dredging I can't walk but not going give it up till the day comes I can't make it to the creek. If I was going to come to Ohio to dredge I wouldn"t  go to Swanks it has been worked to death.  Look up BrainBridge Ohio, and find Buckskin creek, ask for Bill at the gold camp and everyone knows him. I have hit spots and got about a gram a day there.

• Like 1

A gram a may not sound like much but for Ohio that's really good!

Sorry to hear about your back.  I wasn't aware of the shell issue.  My back isn't what it used to be either but hearing about what you go through to get gold makes me feel lucky.  I'm not likely to be looking for Gold in Ohio myself but I think when I get back here to NC from my upcoming western nuggetshooting road trip I'll do some local prospecting.

Terry

I still do some dredging in the summer pays for the winter trip south to metal detect. I dredge in Montana and Wyoming. Use a Keene 4 inch ultra with air and a 3 inch combo( highbanker & dredge ).

• Like 1

Hi Beatup, I had a 4'' but just to much for me to. I am lucky I can get my 2" in and out of the water. I have a 3" combo also and thinking about putting it on floats. I like my 3" but by the time I get it all packed in and set up, I am about had. I do ok with the 2". I can just let it down the bank with a rope and have it in the water. To get it back up is a little harder, I just hook it to my old van and pull it up.

fortunately for me i can drive in to where i dredge or can pack it in on my 4 wheeler at the more remote spots,the roads are not the best but we have no steep cliffs to go over we are already at the bottom of them.