Earphone Plug Falsing When Entering Salt Water

When I enter the salt water and the earphone plug / jack just enters the water I get a positive audio response. This is the standard 1/8-inch stereo jack that is directly connected to the pod. If there is a little wave action touching the jack on and off, it responds accordingly. It has stopped me in my tracks thinking it is a target.

Once it is fully submerged, it is fine. I tried 2 different headphones T. Eisenhower and the ML Underwater phones. So, no problem with the phones. Never happened using these on the Nox.

The higher I am running my sensitivity the more noticeable it is. I presented this to Tom and this was his answer...

Once the plug 'wicks'........ the plug will have a film of saltwater on it. Then..................... the next time the plug gets hit with saltwater........ even only the rubber/insulation part of the plug....... it is still "saltwater electrically connected" to the metal part of the 1/8" stereojack........ and you may incur audio squawking. I seem to recall having this with a MXT.
I'll look into this on the Manticore.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Thanks Bob K

I had the AQ and it was doing the same thing only it was much more noticeable. If that is the nature of the Beast then all is fine. I would rather have the extra power than not. 

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, strick said:

• Like 1

Yea I just threw that out there as I remembered the discussion...kinda makes sense as the M-Core has more power then the Nox so who knows. I don't do much wading due to our west coast ocean swells but I'm not afraid to get my toes wet once in a while when feeling adventurous 😄

strick

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, strick said:

Yea I just threw that out there as I remembered the discussion...kinda makes sense as the M-Core has more power then the Nox so who knows. I don't do much wading due to our west coast ocean swells but I'm not afraid to get my toes wet once in a while when feeling adventurous 😄

strick

I don’t mind getting my toes wet. It’s the wave that hits me on one side of the head and the water comes out the opposite ear!  😆 

• Like 1

How sensitive is the falsing. What I mean is if a few drops of water hit the connector will it false. 
my excal sounds off when I take the coil out of the water. 
I have not submerged my manticore yet(waiting for Tony headphones). 
But that too me is BS if your wading in the water and it’s not perfect calm and a little bit waves and hits the machine it will false. 
Minelab should address this if it’s common. 
Don’t know if this would help. Try coax seal see if that helps was recommended too me for the AQ it didn’t help. But that another story

When the water approaches about halfway on the rubber jack it falses to a positive sound. Once it is submerged, it does not false anymore. I too had the AQ Limited and it was way worse than the Manti. I do run my sensitivity around 21 or 22. By lowering the sensitivity to 18 or so the falsing is much less noticeable. If you slowly bob the jack in and out of the water, it makes a repeated sound. Read the link that Strick posted above taken from Steves' description / explanation of the occurrence.