The Deus II And The Manticore - What's With All Of The Nickels Suddenly Appearing?

I have several buddies who own both the Deus II and the Manticore and the number of nickels they continue to pull from heavily hunted parks is just astounding.  These parks have been hit and hit hard by every detector including the Equinox.  I personally have hunted several of these parks with my Equinox and my Legend and usually come away with a ton of tabs and just a few nickels.  Do you guys think this is due to the expanded TID on the Deus II and the Manticore?  Perhaps the averaging that goes along with lower number TID scales is being nullified to a degree by the 0 - 100 scales on these two detectors.  A buddy of mine dug 11 nickels in an hour and a half at a pounded park yesterday and he said every one came in at a 27.

Bill

• Like 4

I agree with oneguy, I think alot of people just go for the high conductors in parks. I do find a lot of nickels with my D2 and they're pretty easy to ID from anything else except beaver tails, but I also have no trouble picking them out with my Nox. I think many people just ignore them. Personally I love finding nickels, but in my parks the older ones are getting very scarce.

• Like 4

That was me 😄 Gorgeous 3 leg Buffalo. Thanks again for that. I want to move to Montana and detect there. Come on down to MA if you want to dig corroded nickels 😄. Your area produces pristine nickels compared to anywhere around me. Great looking coins! Nice collection of nickels.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, oneguy said:

Best place for nickels is curb strips because of way less beaver tails and general trash you'd find in more public areas like parks/schools etc.  Another benefit hunting curb strips is the quality of the nickels is generally much better because most homeowners don't use fertilizer on that (city) curb strip.

Excellent advice -- makes me want to go out now.  Some curb strips have a lot of coins due to things like parking meters and bus stops where coins were more likely to get dropped.  I've noticed in some of those there are a lot of 1 cent pieces (aka 'pennies'), probably due to peoples' disgust that the meters won't accept them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent advice -- makes me want to go out now.  Some curb strips have a lot of coins due to things like parking meters and bus stops where coins were more likely to get dropped.  I've noticed in some of those there are a lot of 1 cent pieces (aka 'pennies'), probably due to peoples' disgust that the meters won't accept them.

School bus stop in country towns was good for me when I chased coins.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, oneguy said:

Know nothing about the detectors you mention.  As far as nickels go, back in my coin shooting days with my Etrac I'd hunt certain public parks, schools, etc. etc. and after several hunts I'd get an idea of the overall situation as to how hard an area has been hit and also an idea of the expertise of previous hunters and possibly the gear they used?  After a few areas I'd get a feel for the location and notice things like most silver gone or maybe few coins in the surface to 6" range, etc....little clues.  When silver was super sparse or "cherry picked" I'd focus on nickel targets/#'s and start popping V's and Buff's (and beaver tails).  Most guys, especially in parks, scrim out nickel range targets because of trash.  LOTS of nickels left out there guys along with the occasional gold ring that turns up in same range and many do.  I called it "nickel knocking" and had a blast chasing the nickels and my last 2 season chasing nickels I'd average maybe 250/season with approximately 10% being buffs/V's/war nickels.  Best place for nickels is curb strips because of way less beaver tails and general trash you'd find in more public areas like parks/schools etc.  Another benefit hunting curb strips is the quality of the nickels is generally much better because most homeowners don't use fertilizer on that (city) curb strip.  I had one city park that had lots of buffs/V nickels but whatever fertilizer they used just trashed the nickels so I quit hunting there entirely even though lots of V's and buffs turned up. Focus on the nickels and hit those curb strips.....have a bunch of fun!   I guess my theory on why so many nickels is that most guys scrim them out to avoid trash...???

PS...only truly RARE coin I've ever dug was a 3-legged 1937D buff in great shape for a dug nickel because the curb strip never saw any fertilizer. Sold that 3 legger to a forum member on here.....

Pic is very last coin shooting season (2017?) "keeper" nickels. Been on gold nuggs ever since...

P1200007[1].JPG

That's a fine grouping of clean nickels that you have in your display even minus the elusive three legged buff that you parted with.What you need to find now is a Hobo nickel to highlight the collection.

• Thanks 1

No surprise here....The M-Core is a nickel vacuum. They bangs loud and clear usually around 27 as noted above. It hits em shallow and deep equally. Much better then the Nox 800 ever was and the CTX as well. The M-Core seems to be tuned very well for US coins. 

strick 

• Like 5