The Deus II And The Manticore - What's With All Of The Nickels Suddenly Appearing?

20 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I have hunted around 50 Denver area parks regularly and thoroughly with an Equinox 800 since getting one back in mid 2018. I have hunted some of those same parks and exact same areas recently with the Legend, Deus 2 and Equinox 900 and I have been removing lots of nickels with each detector that I just couldn’t definitively pick out of the adjacent aluminum trash with the Equinox 800. There were just too many overlapping aluminum targets that shared the Equinox 600/800 12/13 target ID area. With the Legend, Deus 2 and Equinox 900, the nickel target ID area is not nearly as crowded with other overlapping trash target IDs. Nickels and gold rings with similar IDs are super easy to hear with these expanded target ID detectors.

Ah, I knew you would chime in, Jeff!  What are you finding the nickels come in at on The Legend?

1 hour ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Ah, I knew you would chime in, Jeff!  What are you finding the nickels come in at on The Legend?

Same as the Equinox 700/900, target ID 25/26

Manticore ID 27 is also around where most pull tabs start. It's funny....I dig pull tabs even though I'm pretty sure what it is just in case it's something good. I hardly find any nickels on my beaches. Almost always penny, dime, quarter. Weird.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:52 AM, Bill (S. CA) said:

I have several buddies who own both the Deus II and the Manticore and the number of nickels they continue to pull from heavily hunted parks is just astounding.  These parks have been hit and hit hard by every detector including the Equinox.  I personally have hunted several of these parks with my Equinox and my Legend and usually come away with a ton of tabs and just a few nickels.  Do you guys think this is due to the expanded TID on the Deus II and the Manticore?  Perhaps the averaging that goes along with lower number TID scales is being nullified to a degree by the 0 - 100 scales on these two detectors.  A buddy of mine dug 11 nickels in an hour and a half at a pounded park yesterday and he said every one came in at a 27.

Bill

Cherry picking high conductors is why nickels are a plenty I suspect. The newer machines give you a tighter I D range on low conductors.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, George Kinsey said:

Cherry picking high conductors is why nickels are a plenty I suspect.

But....but....What if there's GOLD in them thar hills?? 😆

34 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

But....but....What if there's GOLD in them thar hills?? 😆

Tell that to the Marines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Manticore ID 27 is also around where most pull tabs start. It's funny....I dig pull tabs even though I'm pretty sure what it is just in case it's something good. I hardly find any nickels on my beaches. Almost always penny, dime, quarter. Weird.

That's probably because the beach hunters are targeting low and mid conductors for gold.

• Like 3

Nickels just act weird.  I  guess it being a cupronickel coin, something about the way it electrically ties to the ground minerals just makes it behave differently.   I personally think the nickel leaches out and makes the surface porous which affects how it conducts the current.  How detectors deal with that porosity varies between makes and models.   Probably why the multi-frequency detectors have the edge on nickels.  

I dunno.  Just my nickel.  :)

Mike

• Like 3