The Deus II And The Manticore - What's With All Of The Nickels Suddenly Appearing?

On 4/5/2023 at 11:58 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

That was me 😄 Gorgeous 3 leg Buffalo. Thanks again for that. I want to move to Montana and detect there. Come on down to MA if you want to dig corroded nickels 😄. Your area produces pristine nickels compared to anywhere around me. Great looking coins! Nice collection of nickels.

Yeah...that 3- legger came out in pretty nice shape?  Did you ever run it to the coin shop to see what it may be worth despite the slight cleaning and environmental condition? Country I live in is very "young" so not many real old coins compared to back east. It breaks my heart to see OLD coins from back east totally shot like many are?  I do clean all my nickels except war nickels with a hard rub with steel wool as they all come out of the ground looking like a brown turd. Generally speaking they are all worth only a nickel anyways unless you find that one rare coin in good condition....

I just left Missoula today (chemo sessions again) and was noticing quite a few of the areas I used to hunt when in town and it brought back some fond memories of many of the great finds I made from the coin shooting days.....

Take care SofHK and glad you're happy with the coin...!!!!!!!

• Like 3

On 4/5/2023 at 9:17 PM, Doc Bach said:

That's a fine grouping of clean nickels that you have in your display even minus the elusive three legged buff that you parted with.What you need to find now is a Hobo nickel to highlight the collection.

Hobo nickel..???  Is that the fake 3-leggeds that are apparently many out there?

55 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Hobo nickel..???  Is that the fake 3-leggeds that are apparently many out there?

Here are a few examples.A popular pastime back in the day but still being made today.                           E617B41C-E036-415E-BF9F-9892313FBBFD_4_5005_c.jpeg.c5cdf80233602a2d4db70ac8bb7c5507.jpeg  6DF4D196-552E-42D5-BC08-92011969091A_4_5005_c.jpeg.912468fa43dddc53db40348711b77871.jpeg

342C51A2-FD2E-486A-BC15-E80B527C2E2C.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

16 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That's probably because the beach hunters are targeting low and mid conductors for gold.

If that's the case, you would think I wouldn't dig so many pull tabs. Most of my pull tabs are like 27 to 33 or so. But no nickels.

I'm going to bury a nickel 6" down next hunt and see how it shows ID and trace wise compared to all the dang pull tabs. 

• Like 3

Wow...  Been in and around numismatics/coin collecting off and on since childhood and never seen or heard of "hobo nickels"...Thanks!!!!!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, oneguy said:

Yeah...that 3- legger came out in pretty nice shape?  Did you ever run it to the coin shop to see what it may be worth despite the slight cleaning and environmental condition? Country I live in is very "young" so not many real old coins compared to back east. It breaks my heart to see OLD coins from back east totally shot like many are?  I do clean all my nickels except war nickels with a hard rub with steel wool as they all come out of the ground looking like a brown turd. Generally speaking they are all worth only a nickel anyways unless you find that one rare coin in good condition....

I just left Missoula today (chemo sessions again) and was noticing quite a few of the areas I used to hunt when in town and it brought back some fond memories of many of the great finds I made from the coin shooting days.....

Take care SofHK and glad you're happy with the coin...!!!!!!!

I never did get to a coin shop, but I'm assuming at least 40% of normal value? I don't care really about value, just happy to have a nice example of that error coin. We may have an older history here but finding a half cent of a capped bust large cent in poor condition hurts more than the fun of finding it. That's why when we get a good looking coin from sandy or slope location soil, we are overjoyed. I use the #0000 steel wool sometimes as well and it makes a difference in helping to ID some of the coppers we can't see. You take care as well from your trips to Missoula, hope everything goes ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Manticore nickel from yesterday, 1884 V.  Gave a solid two way 25 amongst the iron in ATG one region all tones.

thumbnail_IMG_0945.jpg.1f7de4d637f4fe447dc35424971e8011.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg.5b6a3e9efc7a9c320d87674be319aee7.jpg

- Dave

• Like 6

On 4/7/2023 at 8:31 PM, Doc Bach said:

Here are a few examples.A popular pastime back in the day but still being made today.                           E617B41C-E036-415E-BF9F-9892313FBBFD_4_5005_c.jpeg.c5cdf80233602a2d4db70ac8bb7c5507.jpeg  6DF4D196-552E-42D5-BC08-92011969091A_4_5005_c.jpeg.912468fa43dddc53db40348711b77871.jpeg

342C51A2-FD2E-486A-BC15-E80B527C2E2C.jpeg

Those are really cool! What kind of coin is the bug coin? If somebody made that out of a nickel they are flat out a 1st class engraver.

• 4 months later...

I know some people couldn't be bothered to dig nickels.  But I like digging them.  And the Manticore really does have a stiffy for nickels.  I've been hitting really nothing but trashy pounded park turf this summer.  And the Manticore is really scrounging out the clad from the trash.  But the way it says "Nickel" is like it really has the hots for nickels.  With all the hours I've been putting on it scrubbing the turf, I'm calling them at over 90% accuracy anymore.  Quarters are the only other coin as easy to call with the Manticore.

A little over 400 nickels (by weight) with the Manticore this summer.

thumbnail_IMG_1159.jpg.7fa8040e17865469824504d4146cad93.jpg

- Dave

• Like 7

I have not been doing much park detecting this summer but I was having the same luck last winter ..it seems to call them accurately at depth..nice haul

strick

• Like 2