First Hunt Observations

Finally got out for a lake hunt with friends.   Success, with 2 silver rings recovered.  

Now, ground balance set to zero with tracking on is useless to me.  It takes forever for GB numbers to level out.  So, I start with a manual GB then turn on tracking.  Thoughts.

Also coming from an Equinox it seems that I keep thinking TID numbers are the same...😆 

One more thing, I really like the way pulltabs sounds are elongated.

Last observation, rings on the flat give perfect traces, while rings on edge, (At least one that I found has lacquer inlays) give a scattered trace along the center line.S-Ring_12.thumb.jpg.3e9579c1ddf8e8515e4e63abe5feb867.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TripleT said:

Now, ground balance set to zero with tracking on is useless to me.  It takes forever for GB numbers to level out.  So, I start with a manual GB then turn on tracking.  Thoughts.

Ya I noticed the same thing that ground balance tracking doesn't adjust very fast to large changes.  Auto ground balancing first then turning on tracking is the way to go.

1 hour ago, TripleT said:

Finally got out for a lake hunt with friends.   Success, with 2 silver rings recovered.  

Also coming from an Equinox it seems that I keep thinking TID numbers are the same...😆 

One more thing, I really like the way pulltabs sounds are elongated.

Last observation, rings on the flat give perfect traces, while rings on edge, (At least one that I found has lacquer inlays) give a scattered trace along the center line.S-Ring_12.thumb.jpg.3e9579c1ddf8e8515e4e63abe5feb867.jpg

I listen to the tone in prospect audio, then I dig everything that stays on the center line as long as the tone is "clean", no iron grunt or elongated as you say. This is tough if you're inland in a trashy area. If I hear a clean tone 2 directions and it's on center.....I dig. (on my beach) Pull tabs are a problem, even with this method. Sometimes if it's 26 to 32.....I pass and don't dig if I'm feeling lazy. 😁

1 hour ago, Yatahaze323 said:

Ya I noticed the same thing that ground balance tracking doesn't adjust very fast to large changes.  Manual ground balancing first then turning on tracking is the way to go.

Yea, I always GB myself first. Just a thing, I want to watch the #'s as it locks in. Makes me feel like it's "correct".

• Like 2

The only time I use tracking is in a place where I cant get a good auto GB that last more then 5 minutes..usually that is at a beach  with lots of black sand or in highly mineralized ground. For most of my park hunting I'll stay in Auto GB and stay away from tracking. I don't usually do a manual GB but should give it a try. 

strick

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, strick said:

The only time I use tracking is in a place where I cant get a good auto GB that last more then 5 minutes..usually that is at a beach  with lots of black sand or in highly mineralized ground. For most of my park hunting I'll stay in Auto GB and stay away from tracking. I don't usually do a manual GB but should give it a try. 

strick

Sorry I meant I use Auto GB, I always forget that you could actually manually ground balance.

• Like 1

Maybe it depends on where you are using auto tracking, but I have never seen auto tracking ever lower the GB number. It seems to only raise it. I don't like it and never use it on purpose. Not long ago I accidentally turned it on and by the time I caught it was on my Manticore was 30 points higher than my original GB number. Definitely not good and I felt I needed to go back over every inch of ground. I didn't go to the trouble, but sure needed to because it was acting really wonky by the time I finally noticed what was going on. I'm not hunting in places where the actual ground mineralization would change much anyway. Maybe there is a situation auto tracking is a plus, but for me I have only noticed it's a big negative.

• Like 1

Coins on edge:  Manti picks them up, shows 6" depth.  Pinpointer Garret carrot can't locate it.  So you figure it's really 6".  So you flip the plug and the coin is in the top 2" of plug, and now the pinpointer is accurate again...  Is it me or is it a field  masking quirk?