First Hunt Observations

16 minutes ago, TripleT said:

Manti picks them up, shows 6" depth.

What do you mean by this?  I.e. What is the screen showing that brings you to the conclusion that the coin is 6" deep?

Three bars is approximately 6".  Pinpointer will not register anything past 5".  It could the soil here in Calgary. Don't know. 

I occasionally noticed this phenomenon with my Equinox, but never thought much about it.  It seems to happen way more with the Manticore. 

20230413_164433.jpg

• Like 1

Another observation.  The Manticore handles EMI the best of any detector I've owned.  I was able to run it between 30 and 34 sensitivity today and recovered 2 rings!  I was actually hoping for some silver coinage.  But I'll take it.  Fourth hunt with the Manticore and I have scorched past last years recovery rate, indubitably. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TripleT said:

Another observation.  The Manticore handles EMI the best of any detector I've owned.  I was able to run it between 30 and 34 sensitivity today and recovered 2 rings!  I was actually hoping for some silver coinage.  But I'll take it.  Fourth hunt with the Manticore and I have scorched past last years recovery rate, indubitably. 

Hi man, since you one of the few guys that can run the mandimore full throttle, would love to know (if you have the time of course) if you can test out what is the lowest sensitivity on deepest target detected (planted target) by the sensitivity of 30 on your ground and what's your opinion on mandigore sensitivity architecture/structure? ( I don't know the right word to ask.. lol) as i observed its different than equinox sensitivity.. the mandible sensitivity were like pre-amp gain I think if that makes sense

• 1 month later...

Compared to the equinox I have been digging more nails and Bobby pins.  The trace for these sometimes resemble our canuck clad... 

15 hours ago, TripleT said:

Compared to the equinox I have been digging more nails and Bobby pins.  The trace for these sometimes resemble our canuck clad... 

Try adjusting your upper ferrous limits up a # or two. (bringing the upper ferrous limit line closer to the non-ferrous center line) It adjusts reaction to nails, screws, bobbies. The lower the #, the more you will hear and see nails as a good target.

• Like 2

I'm quite a few hours in, but I been noticing the depth indicator often gives me three arrows on coins only 3 inches deep. 

I pulled this one out of an old park this weekend, really boarder line jumpy signal, could have been anything, but it was this thin Canadian dime at about 9 inches. 

I'm not sure if my digger did the damage on the front or not. ☹️

AT gen sens 27 (normally this park has an enormous amount of EMI)  

PXL_20230522_164316226.jpg

PXL_20230522_164336400.jpg

• Like 9

Hey good finds on the rings. 

I detect mainly for silver coins and ALWAYS manually grand balance. It works for me. I remember reading a long time ago that if you auto grand balance and sweep your coil over and over a target it will stop ringing up nicely. This has proven true to me in the past and that is why I always manually ground balance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoinShooter said:

I detect mainly for silver coins and ALWAYS manually grand balance. It works for me. I remember reading a long time ago that if you auto grand balance and sweep your coil over and over a target it will stop ringing up nicely. This has proven true to me in the past and that is why I always manually ground balance.

It appears you are confusing terms.  Here are the correct/accepted term meanings:

Ground Tracking:  detector adjusts on the fly to ground conditions while the coil is being swung.  Other than setting the detector early on (e.g. at turn-on) in Ground Tracking, the detectorist does nothing.  This is where it's sometimes possible that the circuitry silences a weak but desirable target.

Auto Ground Balance (also called "Ground Grab" by First Texas):  The detectorist pumps the coil up and down in a spot where there are no targets, only ground minerals, and the detector decides what channel to set the ground balance point.

Manual Ground Balance:  similar to Auto except now the detectorist listens to the detector's audio while pumping the coil up and down, and the detectorist adjusts the ground balance channel until a minimum of ground noise is heard.

• Like 3

Yes, I have to agree. I was not describing what I was trying to say with clarity. Let me try this again. LOL

I find that Manual Ground Balance is best for me and my conditions whether in be in Florida or Ohio, whereas Ground Tracking seems to learn a good target and will silence it out after continued sweeps of the target.

Thanks,

John

• Like 1