Gold Zone

this area is producing nuggets of even 100 grams.  The distance from where I live is about 300km, I am thinking of going up to prospect for a weekend and I would like the experts in the forum to tell me what I have to look for to know if I am in a good area and not waste time.  The whole area is full of quartz

Screenshot_2023-04-06-23-19-44-96_4937eb900e197f95da98f502ddfb10e1.jpg

• Like 1

Surface Quartz is a good start, it means that any gold bearing gravels are not too deep for a detector to scan. An old saying is "Gold is where you find it" meaning that even terrible looking ground sometimes has gold too. Local information is key....if you know anyone there, ask them.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Aureous said:

Surface Quartz is a good start, it means that any gold bearing gravels are not too deep for a detector to scan. An old saying is "Gold is where you find it" meaning that even terrible looking ground sometimes has gold too. Local information is key....if you know anyone there, ask them.

… I’ve chased pure white bull quartz veins and dikes around to no avail, and only more recently learned that it should have some color in it to be more gold bearing.

• Like 2

This is a good start to find places to go look:

There’s some information that might be pertinent, his other videos may help as well.

• Like 3

Luis- also this:

• Like 1

I like looking for undetected ground, this means a lot of walking over the ground. To have a better hit rate for new patches, a bit (really a lot of research) research is required. First get a geo map of the area. Note where the mines are, then take a look at the geo map type of rocks at those location. Use the mine in the area that you select and search for old miners workings, better still the test/sample holes in the rock type that the mine is in. When using a detector to find a spot try keeping in areas that look shallow as detectors are limited in their depth range. 

• Like 4

¡Hermano! I would start looking at the fault lines and contact zones on a geology map. The area has a lot of slate bedrock, so a place with exposed, weathered chips of this material could be worth checking. In addition, if the reservoirs' water level is low you could check the shoreline since they will not have vegetation (but they will be full of fishing weights). If it was me I would ask around to get a pointy finger, or pan some creeks to find out which washes hold fine gold, then work up the hillside or benches.

This area in particular looks like it has been worked by bulldozers: 39.13624, -5.11346

Buena suerte.

• Like 1

Looking at your area in google earth the terrain shows a lot of slopes due to the height variation.

Screenshot2023-04-08141002.thumb.jpg.1e98a666602910318f58a460e83786a1.jpg

On the geology map look for the "direction line" of the reef that crosses the bulldozer working. Test the ground along this line. To find these lines the old timers would pan up the river or tributary till the gold sample dropped substantially. This showed them where the water/erosion had removed the landscape and reef that shed the gold.

I have found that flat areas on the high ground has shallow gold but on flat areas down hill the gold gets deep quickly. On steep slopes the gold is usually shallow but does not remain on the slope as long as flat areas.

The incline of a reef that is in the same direction of the slope of the ground sheds a lot of it's gold in a shorter time, but if the incline is in the opposite direction of the ground slope it's gold is shed over a longer time allowing more time for the gold to spread out on the land below the reef. 

By the looks of the map rivers might be more suitable to detect if bedrock is exposed.   

• Like 3