Accessory Coils And Coil Covers, Do You Expect Coil Covers To Be Included Or Not?

Doc

Do you expect to have a coil cover included when you buy an accessory coil for your metal detector?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. You buy a coil from a well known Metal Detector company. The cost of the coil is $319. When it comes, there is no coil cover. You find out the coil cover is an additional $38.

• I would expect a coil cover to be included. I would not use a coil that cost $319 without a coil cover.
    • I would not expect a coil cover to be included. It makes no difference to me. I would use a $319 coil without a cover.

It very easy to do a poll, see below

Poll.thumb.jpg.509192ae3035f9f0c2744fc82d57e8e6.jpg

Poll2.thumb.jpg.d1489578da99b511d74a77ffef66bd96.jpg

And yep, if I was buying a coil from any brand I'd expect it to come with the skid plate and manufacturers should encourage that, it makes the coils last longer thereby more happy customers.  They last thing they want is  angry people not using them and photos of coils with holes worn through them popping up online 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It very easy to do a poll, see below

Poll.thumb.jpg.509192ae3035f9f0c2744fc82d57e8e6.jpg

Poll2.thumb.jpg.d1489578da99b511d74a77ffef66bd96.jpg

And yep, if I was buying a coil from any brand I'd expect it to come with the skid plate and manufacturers should encourage that, it makes the coils last longer thereby more happy customers.  They last thing they want is  angry people not using them and photos of coils with holes worn through them popping up online 🙂

Thank you Phrunt.

• The title was changed to Garrett Axiom Accessory Coils

The two poll answer choices don't cover all the bases which leaves people like me out.  I would like a coil cover, but I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.  If I want the coil, I'll deal with the lack of included cover if that's what it takes, either paying extra for one or using the coil without a cover.

As evidence, I bought a Mars Sniper (~6"x10" DD) for my Fisher F75.  Not only didn't it come with a cover but (I'm pretty sure) they've never made one for it.  The bottom of the coil is epoxy and pretty darn tough.  Apparently they decided a cover isn't necessary and (in this case anyway) they likely know way more than I do.

• Like 2

By the way I am a Garret dealer and I own an Axiom myself.  I was not attempting to insult Garrett as I think the Axiom is a really valuable addition to the metal detecting hobby.  But I was shocked to find that the accessory coils do not come with a coil cover and there is nowhere that I can find on the website that says, COIL COVER NOT INCLUDED.

I sent an accessory coil to a customer and he called and complained that there was no coil cover.  I had not noticed it did not have a coil cover.  The customer said well they provide a coil cover with the coils that come with machine.  So I think the expectation is that the coils come with covers is a reasonable expectation.

I just wanted to see whether I was the only one that assumed coils come with coil covers these days.

I think we may have gotten this impression because almost all the accessory after-market coils, Coiltek, Nugget Finder, all come with coil covers.

If a coil cover is an additional item, then that should be something that is easily understood especially by me as a dealer so I can let my customer know.

I have found Garrett to be extremely easy to work with, but sometimes with all of the things going on at the corporate level something like forgetting to list Optional accessories is forgotten.

Doc

• Like 5