How Long Did It Take To Find Your First Nugget?

Arky

Seven years.  I got a bit frustrated and paid Ray Mills considerable cash for help.  After an introduction session that Fall, he took my buddy and me to a better place that Spring.  Over the next few days I found 63  mostly sub-gram "nuggets".  My buddy the @@@,  fount 79.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

You know how the joke goes.

Yeah gotta agree, but you dont know this until your an old bull and that`s no bull.... 😉 How many cows?????

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Think it took me a good 5 or 6 trips  and it was .85 of grammar.

Then another 3 or 4 trips before I got another one,  got a 6 grammar and 3 sub grammars. I was working an old good rush area in the NT, and was getting real frustrated with boot tacks and bullets, but now I look for un worked ground. There is plenty of ground that has gold on it, that is not viable for the big companies.

Hooked ever since. Rarely have a trip without at least 1 nugget these days.

• Like 4

took me 6 months of detecting once a weekend before I finally scored a small 0.2g!

My problem for the first 6 months was that I was using a PI mine detector with silent threshold....literally only dug loud signals. Finally scored a bit the first time out with the 2300....sucked and licked that bit about 40 times while staring at it to make sure it was actually gold 🙂

Looking back, I think I walked over gold with the mine detector......I just didnt know at the time that I should have investigated the small squeaks and farts....

• Like 3

i think it was 1995. i bought a Tesoro Diablo II Gold Demon from Arizona Al who had a little shop in Glendale.
as i only had a car, i only got out when a friend of mine with a truck could get out.
i think it was about 8 to 10 trips within about a years time i found a 1.5 gram nugget shaped like a small pinto bean.
i was out in that area this morning and thought i would give it a look. i have hit this spot a lot with lots of different machines.
and was not expecting to find anything. all these years and i have been walking past this .56. it was 8 feet away from the first one
i ever found on the opposite side of the wash. it was under 5 inches of old dry washer tailings.

20230419_130918 (2).jpg

20230419_121010 (2).jpg

• Like 9

Had a Whites DFX for two years and found nothing, purchased a 5000 and first day out found a gram nugget, a few days later found a 11 gram nugget. I got gold fever really bad after that trip, still have that disease to this day. 

• Like 4

It took me about a yr and a change of machines to get my first gold, I was using a mxt pro, and missing a lot of gold since it was very small where I was hunting, was shown a GB2 in action by George D.  and over same ground it was getting small grain size nuggets right and left, then I bought my GB2 and first trip out to Yuba River, I got two little pickers (left side of pic), been finding gold ever since. First trip back to Rye Patch and I found 7 nuggets shown over the dime.

nuggets.JPG

• Like 3

Took me 11 years hunting a small grassy resting spot from the 1870’s to find my first and only gold nugget 5.1 gram with the Deus2 at 6-7 inches deep. The closest mines are in  Coarsegold California. 

445957C6-8F0F-4D59-9FFB-6FDDE7337DEE.jpeg

• Like 7

It took me a year after I bought my 5000 to find my first, flat little nugget at the Dale.  It was a sub grammer in lots of dry wash piles found with the 17" Commander coil.  I had been on numerous Arizona trips on my own and I think at that point I was actually avoiding people because I didn't think they would tell me where the gold was anyway.

My find was on an outing with another group who were much more helpful.  The buddy system does work but be careful if you get too good because some buddies will think you have taken advantage of them and then you've lost a friend which is more valuable than the few gold pieces you find.

• Like 1