How Long Did It Take To Find Your First Nugget?

Arky

Garrett ground hog for me as well, I found quite a few hot rocks before I found my first lead bullet. I was convinced by the sound I was digging a nugget, it was pretty disappointing to dig lead, I had to find two more before I found gold. Honest answer is at least 100hrs over a two year period, 23 grams. 

• Like 3

I bought my GB2 from Gerry mid-April 2017. Spent a year in historic good gold area finding tacks, bullets, the tiniest of lead pellets. Early April 2018 saw me back up too soon - snow still between 4 to 8 feet deep in the mountains, so was  forced to hit the only sunny ridge I could access - my first was 218 grains and I was hooked!

• Like 3

I started detecting in 1981 and only used low-end TR machines on the beach, which was very financially rewarding. But when a school friend showed me the gold his family got in WA (it was kilos), I went gold crazy lol. My Family moved to a near-gold location and I bought an older version Garrett which was (unknowing to me), totally impractical for Goldfield use. After some advice from a detector shop, I got the Garrett modified and after a quick trip to Tibooburra, I was finally on the board! Only .2gm and several more afterwards. Only 2 years after starting detecting I was regularly finding gold. By 1986 I had over 5,000 pieces to my name. So, I suppose after actually obtaining a useful gold-finding detector, it was only 3 months from go to whoa.....    If only I realized just how much gold I was walking over.....if only I knew then what I know now  :rolleyes:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It took me two years, mostly because I was in the WRONG club (not helpful people).  Once I found a dedicated bunch of people in the RIGHT club who had detectable claims to hit, then it only took six months of limited hunting time.  Still have stretches of skunks!!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 2