I Determine How Much Ai Understands About Gold Detecting

1 hour ago, jasong said:

in the process of research I did find some pretty interesting hybrid-AI type tools that look promising for prospecting/exploration. But I just don't have the time to learn tangential stuff with no immediate application right now as I have too much other stuff to take care of first. 

How about a solar powered AI driven autonomous drone that drives around obstacles to scan every inch if a site to map every likely gold signal?

2 hours ago, FarTraveller said:

How about a solar powered AI driven autonomous drone that drives around obstacles to scan every inch if a site to map every likely gold signal?

These language based AI's are not good for that stuff. But clearly we have self driving cars, delivery robots, etc that can handle spatial coordinates and real time visual data. But those are specialized cases, not stuff easy for the public to access like ChatGPT, etc.

The problem is anything wheeled runs into rocks, bushes, etc. Anything with a coil that needs to touch the ground runs into the same issue. And anything flying drone based cannot get a coil real close to the ground, plus it's own motors create a ton of noise that makes things like detectors hard to use.

I have a few other solutions to larger scale, semi-automated prospecting. But it'd require a lot of tinkering/research/building/failures, and at this point in life I doubt I'll ever have the time to do it since the payoff isn't that great compared to other things I could spend time on. 

• Like 1

Here is a bit of an 'overview' on an area where AI may be put to good use sooner rather than later.  

Notice that the AI would be an aid and not a replacement for education.  I found it interesting that the AI was said not to access the internet for material and that each essay written would be unique.  If this is a feature of AI to be unique then how do you get consistency and in some cases which are not necessarily science, how do you get consensus?

Are we going to be doomed to a one-off world where everyone has their own answer?

Bill Gates Predicts AI Will Teach Reading And Writing Within 18 Months | The Daily Wire

• Like 1

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just asked ChatGPT to write haikus about Artificial Intelligence dominating the world and wiping out humanity.. To keep on topic, I've also included an AI haiku about metal detectorists ruling the world.. 

ai.png

Screenshot 2023-05-27 153245.png

ai.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AI detector programs that help discern and interpret a signal would be nice, especially for people with hearing loss, and they would give beginners an edge.  It’s possible to use a phone for this- with its built in GPS, signal processing and camera it could interpret and also map out coil swings and targets. This would also be a big thing for mine detection.  You wouldn’t need a specialized detector either, just clamp on a downward facing smart phone onto your detector, connect via Bluetooth or attach it to the audio output, and go detecting.

Ok, perhaps I better patent this…

• Like 1

Jasong, really interesting thread and like you say it’s only as good as the information it is given access to I would imagine the quality of the answers expands exponentially on a very steep curve as the AI learns. Lucky for us we have had access to something much more powerful for years and it will take some time for AI to catch up if ever…

we call it Steve H.V1.0

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 3:41 AM, jasong said:

They can solve novel problems, and they can find new ways to solve unsolved problems. They can create brand new things on their own, even without user prompts.

I read somewhere that once one AI machine figures out a problem, all the others within its network instantly learn the same thing.. Like neural networks in our brains, learning and remembering.. This might not sound like a big deal but imagine a future where all metal detectors on the planet are linked by AI.. Every one of them constantly comparing and analysing each find, learning all the time.. Creating an unbelievably massive knowledge base.. If your detector instantly learned from all other detectors on the planet, then we'd quickly become obsolete.. An AI detector will know way more about a potential target than we ever could.. All we'd be good for is digging, once the detector gives us the go ahead.. It'd probably end up digging for us as well with some robotic probe, telling us to get out the way we're doing it all wrong.. ☹️   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erik Oostra said:

It'd probably end up digging for us as well with some robotic probe, telling us to get out the way we're doing it all wrong..

And then the damn thing wouldn't let you hold the nugget...

• Haha 4