I Determine How Much Ai Understands About Gold Detecting

5 hours ago, Redz said:

And then the damn thing wouldn't let you hold the nugget...

No, it would stick it in its mouth and take a selfie with it!

• Haha 4
  • Oh my! 1

This is just my recent experience using AI.  It is a bit of a rabbit hole but it keeps me from thinking that this AI is going to be an end all, be all.  I was once a research manager for a M&A company.  This was before the internet.  We had CD's, data bases, books, libraries, etc.  Someone had to determine the search terms, the semantics if you will of what to look for.  It becomes quickly apparent that there are many ways to search and you get many results and some are better than others.

So ... one of my few ChatGPT sessions so far not about detecting but about ...

I asked ChatGPT a couple of nights ago for a ceviche recipe.  I don't know how much different that is from asking Bing but it kept sending me to one recipe which was called Best Ceviche recipe.  I didn't like that one and kept looking at others.  So then you have to add more details ... shrimp, scallops, fish ... then you have to figure out if you want to use just lemon or lemons and lime ... you don't even get to the part about flavor preferences.  What if the ChatGPT was a French Chef and not from Central America?  Is that a form of bias?

There are several detectorists and on YouTube who do comparisons of detectors.  What will the AI say when you ask it what is the best detector for nuggets?  Relics?  What bias is going to be used to make the list of detectors listed?  Will there be AI based SEO companies? (Search Engine Optimization)

Now, if you are a fan and you want to bet on a game will your AI have a bias?  Can AI ever understand being a fan?  Clearly AI could not be right when it comes to betting.  It will have limitations about anything that has to do with the future.

Everyone will have their own user experience but is it right, wrong or the only answer?  hardly

I'm sure AI or even someones pet donkey could write a better top 10 best detector list than most of the ones I've seen on the Internet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops! Looks like Chat GPT is yesterday's news. The original AI is fighting back. It's now upgraded and miniaturized so everyone can have their own personal AI at home. :smile:

https://newwavetoys.com/products/zoltar-miniature-fortune-teller-machine

It only works if you believe. Believe harder and it works better. (batteries not included)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Not only is ChatGPT a good writing tool, it is a pretty serious tool for coding- it writes Python and JavaScript that works.  We are on the cusp of a new development like we faced in the 80’s with consumer personal computers, and it doesn’t take a Zultar to know the future of AI for us- it will be everywhere.

Clay- have you tried it with Arcpy? (I’m assuming you use GIS) It really good at it and just needs minor edits…

• Like 2

Some use hammers to build houses, some try to smash a screw and pronounce the hammer worthless. 

AI is no different from any tool, there is a right tool for right job, and useful output depends highly on the way its used by the operator. Same reason some can find more gold in a day with a $500 detector than others can find in a year with a $10,000 detector. There are hundreds of ultra useful AI tools, imagination is the only bound on how to make then useful for prospecting and research among other things. 

As for ChatGPT specifically, it's development on new versions is halted right now - rightly so - by OpenAI as some regulatory and ethical issues are explored first. But it's definitely not yesterday's news. I used it and a few other tools to build be an entire online business in 3 hours. Hammer a screw in and you'll just get a bent response though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Not only is ChatGPT a good writing tool, it is a pretty serious tool for coding- it writes Python and JavaScript that works.  We are on the cusp of a new development like we faced in the 80’s with consumer personal computers, and it doesn’t take a Zultar to know the future of AI for us- it will be everywhere.

Clay- have you tried it with Arcpy? (I’m assuming you use GIS) It really good at it and just needs minor edits…

Yeah I've been writing code since 1977. Sometimes I need minor edits too. Arcpy is bloated crap. Python works and always has, rewriting it to take it private for profit was a coding sin. Bad ESRI juju.

When they accomplish AI I will be the first on the bandwagon. Until then I'll just sit back and chuckle at people being fooled into believing tuned algorithms with human vetted input = intelligence. I guess eventually they will have to redefine intelligence or hope this fad fades from the public memory.

• Like 1