Retirement Has Given Me The Time To Try Something New

SilverSteve

So new to detecting, I will no doubt ask some silly questions, but will search the forum for answers before posting. I would like to thank you in advance for any help I may find on the forum or from answers to any questions I post. Thanks Steve

• Like 3

Yep, no silly questions, but we might have some silly answers!🤪

You’ll get some good help here - there are a lot of knowledgeable people.

So, do you have a detector yet or are you still looking?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fire away with the questions, Steve.  Retirement is great and has reinvigorated the hobby for me now that I don’t have to squeeze it in just on weekends and work around family events.

Word of advice:  Prioritize joining a club or participate in local organized group hunt activities so you can build a network of local acquaintances who can advise you on gaining access to productive sites.  Unless you are planning on prospecting or beach hunting, the best permissions are typically privately owned properties versus public land like parks which is subject to more restrictions and has typically been hit hard.  Focusing your energy into site historic and map survey research and gaining site access permissions (i.e., location, location, location) are the keys to success and enjoyment of the hobby.  

The equipment, though necessary and important, is less critical to success because most mainstream and popular detectors perform well if the user takes the time to simply accumulate swing hours to learn how to use it.  The debates here about features and performance comparisons are usually arguments about shades of gray and personal preference rather than of substantial machine performance differences - so let your budget be your guide and ask questions about machines you are considering within that budget.  No need to invest big bucks until you figure out if you really have the detecting bug, and even then you can get a single machine that can do it all in the water or on land and that can grow with you from beginner to pro for less than $500 (check out the Minelab Xterra Pro or Nokta Legend for starters), with the only real need for a second machine for backup or as a loaner for a buddy or family member.   Besides the detector, you’ll also need a handheld electronic target recovery pinpointer (the Garrett “Carrot” Propointer AT is popular, a probe and/or hand digging tool/exctractor (Lesche tool or a gardening knife) for recovering targets without damaging manicured turf, a larger, preferably root slaying shovel/spade if you’re detecting in large unmanicured lawns/fields or woods, a long handled heavy duty sand/water scoop for the beach, and a finds pouch for your recoveries and to carry your recovery tools - a tool/nail apron can serve as an inexpensive starter pouch for this purpose.  I also personally like to wear neoprene gloves to protect against nast surprises during target recovery such as sharp glass, jagged aluminum, needles,  creatures, thorns, and poison ivy roots, etc. that can ruin your day.

Speaking of trash, get yourself into the proper mindset and set expectations accordingly.  You will be digging A LOT of trash.  The gold rings, silver coins, and rare relics will come, but will be interspersed mostly with nails, pull tabs, can slaw, bolts, screw caps, wire, aluminum siding, modern bullets, slugs, shot, and casings, and zincolns.  Patience, pragmatism, and perseverance are eventually rewarded, and you’ll get hooked.  You gonna luv it.  Welcome and happy hunting.

• Like 3

Congratulations on your retirement.  Enjoy.

Welcome from East Texas.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the retirement.

What type of detector are you using, and what part of the country are you in?

There is so much information on this forum with many people to answer any question that you may have, so ask away.

However, we do not know the meaning of life that suits some people, we think it has something to do with swinging a plastic rod around with a box on one end and a plastic circle on the other end.

Good luck and good hunting.

Congrats on retirement! I still have a few more years to go, but I'm looking forward to spending more time out swinging my MD'er!

Thanks for joining Steve!!! Never be afraid to ask anything here. We are a pretty friendly group who occasionally gets a little off the rails. Please post your finds ASAP, we have all started in your shoes. Please let us know what your swinging partner is and we will give you some direction to help you along the way.