3d Models - New Full Member Downloads Area

Hi Steve, I recall you said you were going to set up a location on the site for 3D models of use by the community. I can't seem to find it - I have a couple of models I would like to contribute to give a little something back to this site. 

Thanks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yeah I did say I would, and got sidetracked by my efforts to thwart the spammers.

I for one do appreciate all that you do on the site, and I also know that it is harder than one might think to take care of the spammers and scammers.

Thank you from all of us.

• Like 5

The more popular a forum the more "dung" it deals with, most of us have absolutely no idea... think personally, if your email address gets exposed to spammers from a silly mistake putting it into a form on a dodgy website you can get 100+ emails a day if you're lucky and the only real solution is to change email address, you just can't stop it.... think about a forum and how much rubbish it has to deal with and it's not ideal to keep changing domain names so you have to battle it on the front line, you can't avoid it.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 3d Models - New Full Member Downloads Area

OK, if you go to the Download Category List and look at bottom you will see two categories, 3D Printer Files and Metal Detector Settings

The detector settings area is an old one, was set up more for detectors like the CTX and V3i but no reason why it can't work for others. main problem was I was not allowing direct member uploads - everything had to go through me for submission. As a result it languished

Now that we have a more vetted Full Member level, I am allowing Full Members to not only download but to upload files in these two areas. Hopefully this will help facilitate things. Let me know how it goes as I may need to tweak something. Right now I have set it to allow eight 3D file extensions:

fbx 3ds obj stl iges dae 3mf stp

Too many? Too few? Are there any security risks with any to be aware of? I'm a newbie at this 3D printer stuff for sure, but as they get better and cheaper I can see myself having a new hobby. :smile:

Again, let me know if it works, does not work, if you need help, whatever. Thanks!

• Like 5

The only formats I use routinely are obj and stl. I know some like the 3MF format although I have no experience with it, as the work I do doesn't call for colour and material definitions, which I understand 3MF encapsulates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interested to see what all you guys make, thinking about getting a 3d printer and doing some design for non detector equipment but curious about this too.

I see a few designs there already. When working with existing parts where you don't start with a manufacturer CAD file for already, do you guys do like a 3D scan to get all the dimensions/parts compatibility correct or do you just take a good old set of calipers to the original part and make a bunch of measurements then draw it by hand in your own CAD program?

• Like 1

I just take measurements and then draw with my own CAD program. If something doesn't work perfectly, I make some adjustments and then give it another shot. I've only been 3D printing for a few months now. Ferrous Bueller (Chris) got me into it. Its fun to tinker with, and not very difficult to learn.

• Like 3