Makro Vs. Carrot - Comparing Pin Pointer To Help Determine An Impending Purchase

Please accept my apology for the long-winded and fairly extensive post.
Since delivery of my new Manticore was delayed a day-or-two (Wednesday now-both Cabelas -&- FdX *yay!* ) 
I've been trying to determine which pin pointer I ought to have when my learning phase is about to commence.

I followed much info about the Garret carrot group, and quickly ruled out any need for wireless, so investigated the std. ProPointer AT, which intrigued me initially, but, upon longer determination I found that it might NOT be my best choice. When I learned more about the pulse-induction versions of PP, and the likelyhood that heavy(?) mineralized areas could possibly be better served by those type, I steered toward that direction. Since my (at least -early) detecting will happen -mostly- on dry land, and probably no deeper than a couple feet under water, I've found myself considering the Nokta pointer pretty seriosly.

Would any of the more experienced out the make a further reccommendation for a pin pointer that I'd like to purchase (and hopefully have in my hands by week's end) right away? 
Manticore is rescheduled for tommorrow, and I'd like to be practicing & learning this coming weekend.

I'd already worked out that the majority of area around the multi-century farm house might qualify as 'hot' (?) soil. The hand dug foundations areas, cellars, ect. were shoveled out of clay-bound sand and gravel that was consequently mixed with a topsoil high in loam and light clay and spread all around the house and adjoining outbuildings. The lower yards that were a flood plain to the creek which spilled over it's banks 2-3 time a year until the County Engineer dredged the creek bed to about an eight to twelve foot depth from existing grade. When the creek is running normal it is -at most- 2 feet deep in it's deepest points.
That existing grade above the creek bed, is about 20ft. below the street level/homestead site.

My parents (and grandparents before them) tended a vegetable garden behind the 2-story+ farmhouse that probably measured 75'x100' (100+ years anyway), which all occurred at that previously mentioned street level.
My Mom planted maple trees surrounding the house in the mid/late '40s that had ALL grown to extraordinary heights, and mostly all those, and all Dad's fruit trees have expired, and been removed.
Just about 1/8to1/4- mile down the street is a brick story&1/2 one-room schoolhouse that Dad attended in the '20s.(That schoolhouse has been aquired by the Co. Park system, and been deemed off-limits to dectionists since being purchased from a family that lived in it for the majority of the 20th century).

There was some extensive excavation within about 75ft of the creek bed through my lower yards/pasture area by to bury a 48" sewer line in the 15-20' depth, majority of the overburden was pushed back overtop the excavation, and the contractor -stole- the excess sand/gravel mix, so the grade is now a turned/plowed up peat topsoil that is -again- 2-3'deep, just like the rest of the flood plain exhibits.
This -whole- area is NOW a close-clipped grass lawn, and prior to it's transformation(s) was a horse pasture (about 6 acres)for somewhere about 50 years. I took down all the fence wire, and pulled the fence posts (nearly all of those were rough-hewn locust posts.
Since I've been here for nearly all of 60 years, and my siblings and parents prior to me, I'm very nearly convinced that there are all-sorts of artifacts blanketing the 8+ acres I salvaged from my association with those same siblings.
I remember a med. size watch box filled with all manner of coins my parents found over the years (stolen by an interloper before I could protect -that- hoard) one that I remembered was a gold coin about the size of a pencil eraser (all-gone, sad).
When I allowed the detectionist I met a couple years ago walk around the front yard with his 8000 he came back with a coin that he showed me was a 186? half-penny that had been peirced to wear on a necklace -or- lanyard.
I let him have it. That is what convince me to get my own machine, and opt for the more-capable(?) Manticore.

I have both pinpointers (and a number of others).  Don't over think the mineralization thing, you just need the pinpointer to get you close to your target for recovery.  I regularly use my Garrett Carrot in the hottest of soils in Culpeper VA without issue.  It is a reliable and rugged pinpointer.  It gets the job done.  The Nokta Pulse Dive is a fine pinpointer and great if you plan on doing any submerged detecting, but I prefer either the Carrot when not using my XP Deus 2 Detector, or the XP Pinpointer when using the Deus 2 because it links up wirelessly to the D2 and is a great, sensitive pinpointer.  It is not a PI but also does just fine in hot dirt.  Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either the Pulse Dive or the Carrot.

BTW - The only way to tell the level of mineralization in your soil is by using a mineralization meter, which, unfortunately, the Manticore does not have built in.  But again, that really doesn't matter other than for curiosity sake for the most part because you will still be able to ground balance it satisfactorily without knowing the actual mineralization level.  Also, even though the Manticore will come up with some arbitrary unitless number as a ground balance reference point, you really can't infer the level of mineralization from that number.  It's just a reference that lets you know whether the ground reference point is changing as you traverse your site.

HTH.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have the nokta Pulse Dive (Pulse Induction), Fisher F Pulse (Also Pulse Induction), The original Garrett Pro Pointer (VLF)

The F Pulse for me is way to quiet and the vibration is so weak you cannot even hardly feel it vibrating when pin pointing a target, the F Pulse is my least favorite pointer I currently own

The Nokta Pulse Dive I do like except it is very very heavy pin pointer, which for me personally makes it a very UN comfortable pointer to use

one suggestion I have for you is to also check out the new 2023 model Quest X Pointer Max pin pointer, that comes with what Quest calls the Magic Holster, what the Magic Holster does is allows you to turn the X Pointer Max on while out detecting and while in the new Magic Holster the X Pointer Max is in stand by mode until you are ready to pin point with it, you just remove the X Pointer max from the holster and it automatically turns on and is ready to locate your target, once finished pin pointing put it back in the Magic Holster and it goes back into stand by mode, another nice feature with the X Pointer max is it is a discriminating pin pointer which works very very good, the Quest X Pointer Max is also a (VLF) pin pointer and is currently my favorite pointer I use

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure there is not a best answer, I went with water proof just in case, even though I don't water hunt.  Most will work fine after you pass 100, you might want to tape over the speaker, mine are all to loud for me. 

After you have one spend a lot of time seeing how it works.  There is a little more skill involved than what it appears.  

• Like 2

I use both the Pulse Dive and the X pointer.  Pulse Dive is rechargeable and has vibrate which can come in handy. 

I have a few name brand units (no cheap knockoffs), and they all work well! I like mine waterproof and quiet! But if your unsure after researching what your best match is, you can always buy used and lessen the wallet hit! Same with their full size cousins! It's rare i buy any detecting equipment new now! That way I can buy more!!🙄😂🍀👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt4gold said:

I use both the Pulse Dive and the X pointer.  Pulse Dive is rechargeable and has vibrate which can come in handy. 

X pointer max is also rechargeable and water proof to 16 feet, also has vibrate only mode

• Like 1

I personally think you are over thinking about pinpointers,they just help you locate a find when just say a inch or 2 away from the pinpointer,i have never had any issues regarding ground with high mineral content.....my original Black Garrett still keeps working after many many years of hard use and never let me down,i brought a new XP Mi-6 probe about 12 month back and never used it,if my current Garrett one finally dies i will get another one the same.

A vote for the Garrett Pro Pointer AT from me out of the Nokta Pulse and Garrett, I have both and much prefer the Carrot.  Nice loud speaker, solid build quality and excellent performance. 

Another good option is the XP Mi-4, again nice and loud, built in battery, solid build quality and great performance, very similar to the Carrot but a tiny bit more sensitive to very small targets. 

The Nokta is best if you're planning on water detecting, awesome you can put a coil on it. 

The F-Pulse is very quiet, has no better depth in my soil than a VLF pinpointer (I'm in mid soil) and is a bit frustrating to use with it's falsing and requiring touching the ground when being turned on.  Never once had to do that with my Carrot. 

Out of the F-Pulse and Nokta I'd pick the Nokta any day, similar performance but the option of a coil, much higher waterproof rating and a louder speaker.  Both are PI.

If there is one series of Pinpointer to avoid like the plague it's the Minelab Pro-Finds.

• Like 1

I have always wondered if the Garrett pinpointers actually make Garrett the overall sales leader in metal detectors.  I know they last a long time but I've had 3-4 of them over the years and now I have a knockoff but I don't use a pointer or carry one now.

• Oh my! 1