Makro Vs. Carrot - Comparing Pin Pointer To Help Determine An Impending Purchase

Just go out and buy a Garrett Carrot, they work fine. There is no perfect anything. Just get one and get used to using it. I have an old black Garrett and it works fine. If it interferes with your machine move the machine a little further away.

We are lucky to have pinpointers. My mom used get pissed when I borrowed her long spoons before they existed. And I'm in no shape now to dig around like a dog looking for a bb.

• Like 4

I have the following pin-pointers:  Bullseye TRX, TekPoint, F-Pulse, Carrott, and the MI6 and MI4.  Of those listed, my favorite is the TRX but its no longer made so I don't use it very often, because of that my go to is the MI6 (which connects with my D2). I have tried each of these with my Manticore and I have had no issues.  I'm debating trying the new Quest X-Pointer Max, just holding out till their updated version arrives.  I think alot of it comes down to personal preference.           

I have the following pin-pointers:  Bullseye TRX, TekPoint, F-Pulse, Carrott, and the MI6 and MI4.  Of those listed, my favorite is the TRX but its no longer made so I don't use it very often, because of that my go to is the MI6 (which connects with my D2). I have tried each of these with my Manticore and I have had no issues.  I'm debating trying the new Quest X-Pointer Max, just holding out till their updated version arrives.  I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference.  

I've tried lots of pinpointers over the years but seem to keep coming back to the Garrett Carrot. My second place favorite is the Fisher F-Pulse. I actually was favoring the F-Pulse but mine died so I went back to my old AT Pro-Pointer.

There are already 8 pages of threads on the forum about "Which pinpointer is best" so might have a look at those also.

• Like 2

Personally, like many of you veterans, I hunted without a pinpointer for many years and recovered targets just fine.  Admittedly nowadays I can't believe that I did without one for so long but the fact is if you keep your search coil near the hole to scan the pile, and you are good at target recovery, you generally won't have much trouble pinpointing.  I still remember my first pinpointer, can't recall the brand but it was an early version of the White's Bullseye.  It looked like a pack of cigarettes with a stick shoved into it on one end and i think it had a light on it.  It worked as I recall.

Nowadays I still use my black Garrett Propointer.  I have a Carrot but it stays in the box unless I am water hunting.

Oh, advice?  Practice target pinpointing with your detector and don't depend on the poinpointer to do your job of locating the target.  I used to tape a coin on the back of a piece of cardboard and  would pinpoint with my detector.  Then I would push a pin through the cardboard to see if I was right on the coin or not.  You might be surprised to see how often you miss, I know I was.

Last thing, I do get a kick out of folks who use their pinpointers to dig.  Really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Last thing, I do get a kick out of folks who use their pinpointers to dig.  Really?

yep and then wonder why they wear their pointer out

the only thing I actually use my pin pointer for is to run it across the surface to se if the target is close to the surface before I ever stick a shovel or hand digger in the ground just because I do not trust the depth indicator on any detectors, my pin pointing with the detector is usually spot on but the depth indicators can be way off

that is one thing that irritates the crap out of me with the you tubers is the first thing they want to do is dig craters with their shovels and then have this big open hole where the target is, only to find out that if they would have pulled out their pin pointer in the first place and ran the pointer across the surface they would have realized they did not need to dig to china to retrieve their target because the target is rite at the surface

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MFF18B said:

I have the following pin-pointers:  Bullseye TRX, TekPoint, F-Pulse, Carrott, and the MI6 and MI4.  Of those listed, my favorite is the TRX but its no longer made so I don't use it very often, because of that my go to is the MI6 (which connects with my D2). I have tried each of these with my Manticore and I have had no issues.  I'm debating trying the new Quest X-Pointer Max, just holding out till their updated version arrives.  I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference.  

definitely wait for the new X Pointer Max with the Magic Holster, I was lucky to find one and I like it a lot

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DSMITH said:

definitely wait for the new X Pointer Max with the Magic Holster, I was lucky to find one and I like it a lot

I'm looking for an additional pinpointer as well, and have narrowed it down to the X Pointer Max, or the upcoming Nokta Accupoint that would pair with my Legend. Darn it, maybe I'll buy both! lol

The idea of not having to turn the Accupoint on and off is really interesting to me. Especially for the sites where I constantly dig, get back up, and get back down again in a few seconds. 

I've never used a pairing pinpointer, but for those that do, is there a lag between the time you turn on the pointer, and the time it pairs and is ready for use? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Digalicious said:

I'm looking for an additional pinpointer as well, and have narrowed it down to the X Pointer Max, or the upcoming Nokta Accupoint that would pair with my Legend. Darn it, maybe I'll buy both! lol

The idea of not having to turn the Accupoint on and off is really interesting to me. Especially for the sites where I constantly dig, get back up, and get back down again in a few seconds. 

I've never used a pairing pinpointer, but for those that do, is there a lag between the time you turn on the pointer, and the time it pairs and is ready for use? 

yep I intend on getting one of the new nokta pointers when they come out also, don't know if it will pair with my avantree torus neck band speaker or not but don't really care either, i do not use the headphones that came with the Legend but will still get one just to see if they are any good, the other thing about the New X Pointer and the older version is they are a tip only pin pointer which I like

I also have the Simplex and that was the only reason i purchased the Pulse dive pointer to pair with the headphones that work with the simplex plus but I never have been able to get the pulse dive to pair with the headphones for the simplex at all and trying to get it warrantied was a pain in the butt so I just gave up on getting it fixed or replaced