Garrett AT Max (2018) Or Minelab Vanquish 540

Just now, rs2007elias said:

And that hasn't taken a hit on the quality - it still is a solid unit other than just tons of features? 🙂

True that, both the AT Max and Legend are excellent quality detectors.  No fears about quality with either of them.

• Like 1

Just sticking to the original question I’ll be simplistic about it. If I needed the detector to be fully submersible I’d get the AT Max. If not, I’d get the Vanquish 540, which is basically a stripped down Equinox in a dry land package. With either model take care of the battery issue by using AA rechargeable batteries.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rs2007elias said:

Ok, so a little change. The AT Max had 3x coils (regular, sniper and large one), as well as 3x headphones (including Amphibian Grey Ghost. Still a better buy to go for the Legend base kit with no extras?

I'd go with the Legend over the AT Max without question.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dave_e said:

I'd go with the Legend over the AT Max without question.

I agree and I have both with all the coils.  

• Like 2

I think you made the right decision, you're at the cutting edge of technology rather than a decades old design.  Both are great detectors but I think it's best if you're investing a large sum of money to get something modern, just because the AT Max is priced as high as it is doesn't mean it should be.

I only have the AT Gold not the Max, and I really like it but I'd rarely pick to use it over my Equinox (Legend's twin brother with brittle bones and incontinence).  The Multi freakers are just like having multiple detectors in one, so you really bought a few different detectors with the Legend rather than boxed yourself into a single frequency.

• Like 1

The 540 and AT Max have their advantages, but given your needs, the Legend was the right choice.

And yes, the AT Max does seem to have some surprising resell value, but it's because it was overpriced* to begin with, not because you're really getting more for your metal detecting dollar.

* Overpriced doesn't mean bad. It just means there are other options that give you more features for a particular price.

• Like 1

Shop a round and I’ll bet you can find a used Legend with 2 coils for under $500. Legend hands down the best of the 3 for what you are planning on using it for.  Oh I see you made a wise decision. Go tear it up and post some finds now.

• Like 1