Quick Trip Yields Some Franklins

dogo, I don't know if that's the same place you took me, but regardless I know you have some primo detecting spots as you've proved once again.  Did that small area where you found them contain other old coins?  I'm wondering if there might have been a concession stand there long ago.

15 hours ago, dogodog said:

Oddly I dig a lot of silver half's but rarely these.

14 hours ago, oneguy said:

Noticed the exact same thing from my coin shooting days (26yrs worth)...  Have dug quite a few Barbers, Seated, Walkers, Kens and only 2 Bens.  Most likely a total mintage thing... I've never checked?

Mintages for all Walking Liberties and all Franklins were not much different:  485.3 million vs. 465.8 million respectively.  But the time in circulation is a different story.  WLH's were still in circulation when in the late 60's everyone was pulling silver from circulation.  By ~1970 most silver was gone.  The Walkers on average had more time to be lost than the Franklins.  The 90% silver Kennedy halves, although only minted for one year, was still close at 429.4 million.  But way less time for those to be dropped.  If you count the 40% silver Kennedys (1965-1969; leaving out the low mintage 1970-D which was only in sets sold to collectors), there were a lot more of those minted -- 846.7 million.  They weren't quite as quickly removed due to their lower silver value.  (FWIW I've yet to find any of the silver containing half dollars, only a couple clads.)

The same thing seems to have happened with silver dimes:  Mercs (compared to Roosies) being in circulation longer giving them a higher likelihood of being lost and subsequently found by detectorists.

• Like 3

Hey GB, No it's a different place that I also hunted to death. Every time I feel like I dug everything of value I find some more coins that amaze me. This place is not fun to detect it is an iron and EMI nightmare, mostly EMI. I do not even waste my time with a big coil here anymore. I've been running the Compadre and the 800 with the 6 inch coil. I found that the 6'' with recovery at 2 gets crazy depth actually better than the 11''. About three weeks ago I dug a 1974 penny at 13''. Down side is super slow swing  speeds and checking and rechecking target position. That place we went to is still producing some good silvers. Last year I pulled 3 Barber 1/2's from there. Hope your doing well it's been a while!!!

• Like 1

Great hunt. 2 halves is not very common in one hunt, especially Franklin halves.

• Like 1