Your Recommendations For Remote Location Detecting In Nm, Az, Nv, And Ca Desert

I enjoy exploring/boondocking in very remote locations and my next month-long trip will be focused on metal detecting. I am hoping to get some input from some of the people here about what barely accessible locations may be promising for nuggets.

My priorities:

Nuggets, not interested in artifacts, lost treasures, etc.

I don't prefer locations where I know others have detected already

I'd rather get less gold if it means less trash

The more remote, the better.

I'm not asking for a treasure map to anyone's secret potato patch. Just wish to know what general area you would think worthy of exploration in light of the priorities I've listed. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

(I'd rather get less gold if it means less trash)
the old timers were everywhere. when you are finding miners trash from the 1800s
its probably a good idea to slow down and have a look around.

(I don't prefer locations where I know others have detected already)
you might be surprised just how far some will go to find nuggets.

(The more remote, the better.)

ill just say be careful. this morning i found a 60 year old guy from Texas broke down. he was nugget hunting.
 he was pretty far back in there.
 he had busted his oil pan on a very bad road.
i had to use a tow strap to pull him out over some spots i don't even like to take my 4x4.
kind of messed up my day.

you didn't say when you were planning to do this, its 90 degrees here in AZ today and will be pushing 100 next week.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FarTraveller said:

I'm not asking for a treasure map to anyone's secret potato patch.

Yes you are. Why else would you be asking?

The best general areas to go is where gold has been found before. Do your own research & the hard yards out in the field, it is half the fun of this game. More so when it pays off. Self reward & satisfaction. Instead of expecting someone else who has done all the hard work & put in a lot of their own time & effort to find places with gold tell you exactly where to go to find it. Don't you think that would be something they would rather keep for themselves?

D4G 

• Like 5

Dang it all. Why wasn't I smart enough to just ask an internet forum where to go detecting instead of wasting all those years doing history research, geologic studies, digging hundreds of pounds of trash and hiking for days on end with little to show for it. Boy am I dumb.

That being said; Mr. fartraveller, I truly wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have.

Expecting some stories and photos from you soon.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Head up Notellum Creek starting at the old bridge and head up stream 5-600yds until you see the old snag on your left. When you spot the old snag head directly across the creek, hop the barbed wire fence and you'll come to a bench....gold on the bench!  All you gotta do is dig!!!!!

• Like 1

Thank you Redz and Bishop for the feedback. I do use mylandmatters, mindat, westernmininghistory, USGS resources, among others. I am going in May, but my current list of target areas are not new to me and are 6000 feet at the lowest so heat hasn't been a problem.

To the less than helpful folk who said I'm asking for someone else's hunting grounds, I guess I wasted my time specifically explaining that I don't have any interest in other people's trash ridden holes two steps from the highway no matter how earnestly they imagine themselves as guardians of some legendary secret nugget patch.

As I said, I'm looking for general areas to explore, not specific spots that have already been located. All I do is roam remote areas and though most promising spots have been worked by OT dry-washers, I still find places that haven't been metal detected, and most importantly for my taste, the places I go are low on trash.

I really thought I made myself clear.

• Haha 1

Then just carry on with your quest & hopefully you will be rewarded. Same as anybody who does their own research in to remote areas & do the hard yards out in the field. Just keep on at it. No gold is easy gold & getting harder by the day. 

D4G

• Like 1