Your Recommendations For Remote Location Detecting In Nm, Az, Nv, And Ca Desert

GJ, that is funny but at the same time on the money, research all you wish, learn geological methods but that will only take you to where its been found by others before you, go where others believe it is a waste of time, if you spend the time/persistence/patience you`ll be rewarded, time and faith in yourself, your ability and your detector is all it takes. Tis simple as that, FarTraveller or is that too simple?😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

GJ, that is funny but at the same time on the money, research all you wish, learn geological methods but that will only take you to where its been found by others before you, go where others believe it is a waste of time, if you spend the time/persistence/patience you`ll be rewarded, time and faith in yourself, your ability and your detector is all it takes. Tis simple as that, FarTraveller or is that too simple?😉

It is very hard to find gold in virgin location. When the nuggets were laying everywhere in 1979-80 I spent about half a years working hours searching virgin ground with no finds. It taught me you have to be in the right ground near (a few miles)  known mines or diggings. However once you have got the eye and feel it can be very rewarding. Have a look at an old post of mine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bishop said:

(I'd rather get less gold if it means less trash)
the old timers were everywhere. when you are finding miners trash from the 1800s
its probably a good idea to slow down and have a look around.

Yes they were

11 hours ago, dig4gold said:

The best general areas to go is where gold has been found before.

Yes this is true because the old timers were everywhere. The old adage was "gold is where you find it", now I believe it may be "gold is where it's been found before".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, geof_junk said:

It is very hard to find gold in virgin location. When the nuggets were laying everywhere in 1979-80 I spent about half a years working hours searching virgin ground with no finds. It taught me you have to be in the right ground near (a few miles)  known mines or diggings. However once you have got the eye and feel it can be very rewarding. Have a look at an old post of mine. 

I wasted a lot of time as well g-j in 1979-80 looking for the fabled virgin patch instead of going to where it had been found by the old timers, eventually I caught on. Last summer I finally found my virgin patch, but I had something the old timers didn't have, a 7mm wetsuit and mask. 

• Like 3

Fartraveller,

It may help a little to know what state you are considering. From your references/tools used you are in the southwest US correct? But there are a bunch of states that have 6000+ elevation.

I am with Norvic - hunt ground where there are no big mines, more chance of nothing, but more chance of untouched spots. They are still there- old timers didnt have detectors, and older detectors cant handle ground modern ones can. Geology map will show the right ground

• Like 4

Thank you blackjack for repeating that bit that I said. I was going to repeat it again but you did it for me. While that may sound like an obvious bit of advise many would think, what is the point as there will be no gold left there. As we know, no body gets it all. But by going to places where gold has been found before it can just be a matter of going a little bit further out from the fringes of the hard hit areas. Maybe into deeper ground with a larger coil to get better depth. 

The guy obviously took offence to what I said but by his response I think I hit a raw nerve. Even said he was only interested in nuggets. Aren't we all? I liked Klunkers response too. Research is the key, as we know. There are no free lunches out there & like I also said, no gold is easy gold. You need to do the hard yards & foot miles & walk over the gold. 

Google is his friend as to areas to go & expand on that. 

D4G

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redz said:

Fartraveller,

It may help a little to know what state you are considering. From your references/tools used you are in the southwest US correct? But there are a bunch of states that have 6000+ elevation.

I am with Norvic - hunt ground where there are no big mines, more chance of nothing, but more chance of untouched spots. They are still there- old timers didnt have detectors, and older detectors cant handle ground modern ones can. Geology map will show the right ground

Yep.... All comes back to research & then doing the hard yards out in the field.

D4G

• Like 2

All the posts I’ve seen about people successfully finding nuggets in the US these days mentioned digging in areas with trash and pellets. Steve also mentioned recently that presence of trash and pellets was a good way to know an area hasn’t been thoroughly detected.  It doesn’t come easy, and that’s been something I started learning as well.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GotAU? said:

All the posts I’ve seen about people successfully finding nuggets in the US these days mentioned digging in areas with trash and pellets. Steve also mentioned recently that presence of trash and pellets was a good way to know an area hasn’t been thoroughly detected.  It doesn’t come easy, and that’s been something I started learning as well.

This is a really good point, if you're finding lead then you are on the right track, I had to find three bullets before I found gold. But I knew I was on the right track, lead is relatively rare in a lot of the West Australian fields, unlike bloody boot tacks !

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2023 at 4:28 PM, geof_junk said:

All seven areas have gold. Just keep clear of my patch. 😁

Australia Map Outline with States and Capitals

Hey g-j, Canberra is the biggest square, what are you trying to tell us ?