Nugget Hunting In Colorado And Wyoming

I’m planning a trip to northern Colorado and wondering if anyone Nugget hunts or is it all fine River Gold?

Several of the creeks and rivers have good size nuggets, but make sure you know what the laws and permits are before detecting or panning there.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Let’s see if I reword my question. Do people use metal detectors to Nugget hunt in colorado as we do in California, Arizona, Nevada and Idaho? I’ve never found nothing on it and just wondering if I should leave the equipment behind. I understand there are regulations and laws I’ll have to look into.

• Like 1

Most parts of Colorado and Wyoming (with some notable exceptions) produce very small gold more suited to panning and sluicing. Overall, I think its pretty tough to find nuggets compared to the other states you mentioned, but I'm not one to tell you not to try!

I've seen a few big nuggets that came from the South Pass City/Atlantic City area.. I suspect that area is claimed pretty heavily. Colorado's produced some big nuggets and specimens. There's an impressive collection on display at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. A specimen called Tom's Baby weighted 13 pounds, and the Breckenridge area has produced some cool crystalline gold. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 9.25.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 9.26.02 PM.png

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

Grandfather and I sluiced for most of the gold we found out there, but he did use a detector several times close to the creeks and found some very nice nuggets.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1