Is It Time To Move On Beyond Whites Metal Detectors?

37 minutes ago, KD8GIS said:

I was hoping "The forums" Would still have a section for those who enjoy White's.  Without having to defend the brand. If I had a friend I'd like to teach metal detecting to, I'd think an IDX Pro would be a good choice. NOPE I'm not in Colorado nor prospect or even do beaches.  I expect a PI detector would put my VLF single frequency to shame. 

The hobby has moved on to?  Well it seems it's moved on without me.  Maybe I stopped with forums years ago for that reason.  Ya know it seems now to be about My detector is better than yours.  I'll still learn what I can learn here. 

People were simply answering the question posed. But I agree. I had to put a note up on the Garrett Forum to stop people trolling the models there, and I think I’ll do the same here. If people want to move on, fine, but let the people who want to use and enjoy White’s detectors do so here in peace. Thanks.

whites-gmt-chestmount-conversion-herschbach.jpg

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, KD8GIS said:

I was hoping "The forums" Would still have a section for those who enjoy White's.  Without having to defend the brand. If I had a friend I'd like to teach metal detecting to, I'd think an IDX Pro would be a good choice. NOPE I'm not in Colorado nor prospect or even do beaches.  I expect a PI detector would put my VLF single frequency to shame. 

The hobby has moved on to?  Well it seems it's moved on without me.  Maybe I stopped with forums years ago for that reason.  Ya know it seems now to be about My detector is better than yours.  I'll still learn what I can learn here. 

Nothing I wrote is attacking Whites.

The detectors I own now should not make anyone feel like my detector is better than theirs. On the contrary, their ground detecting conditions are a lot better than mine.

If I lived and detected a lot somewhere else I might still use an MXT, MX5, MX7 or DFX. They are fine detectors which I truly like a lot. They just aren't the right detector for where I detect most often, simple as that. That is why I answered yes....it was time for me to move on from Whites. Other people may not want to or unlike me, need to.

I still have my Garrett/Whites 24K because it is a fine prospecting detector and because it scratches my itch to own and use a Whites and Garrett detector that's made in the USA all rolled into one.

• Like 2

Whites lives on in the 24k, it's just a shame Garrett have taken so long to make accessory coils for it, it is sure not helping its sales with the lack of coils. 

I think they should also take a serious look at making a Garrett TRX too, the Pro Pointer AT is fantastic, my favourite pinpointer but the TRX is a different animal and has advantages the other pinpointers on the market do not, such as the tip sensitivity and overall sensitivity really so it's different enough to the Pro Pointer AT they could easily accommodate both.

I would guess Garrett would make it better quality too, as the Whites version I think has a few quality control problems, I have 3 of them and 2 of the 3 are bad, hopefully the 3rd lasts as I won't be buying another Whites version ever.

• Like 2

My 2-cents worth.  For the amount of detecting I have time to do, and for the ground conditions I experience, my Whites Goldmaster 24K and also my TDI SL will be more than adequate.  I hunt mostly for gold and occasionally for coins and relics.  For me they are great.  In addition, I have always been a fan of Whites, so I will never give them up.  I have found that for the mild soils where I detect, they both serve their intended purposes very well and I am very satisfied with them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cascade Steven said:

My 2-cents worth.  For the amount of detecting I have time to do, and for the ground conditions I experience, my Whites Goldmaster 24K and also my TDI SL will be more than adequate.  I hunt mostly for gold and occasionally for coins and relics.  For me they are great.  In addition, I have always been a fan of Whites, so I will never give them up.  I have found that for the mild soils where I detect, they both serve their intended purposes very well and I am very satisfied with them.

The 24k is a fantastic detector, I can't fault mine, if anything the only problem I've noticed with it being the Garrett model is the battery charge recognition is calibrated for AA's at 1.5v, Garrett supply 1.2v rechargeable batteries with it, which is great seeing it needs so many batteries, but it doesn't report the battery life correctly because of this, the same problem the Vanquish had which was fixed in a firmware update. 

Aside from that, it's a really good detector, I couldn't be happier with my 24k, and as a dedicated gold VLF out of all my dedicated VLF's it's the one I choose to use.   I just hope Garrett get the 6.5" concentric coil to market for it as soon as possible, and if they produced the entire Whites range of coils I'd be happy and buy the lot.

• Like 3

In January the storms that tore up our So. Cal. beaches left huge fields of thick, jet-black, sand during the low tides. A handful of us hunters enjoyed some of the best hunting we've ever experienced for about a month. The most popular detectors I saw during this time were the White's PI machines. I saw PI Pros, Dual Fields and a TDI Beachhunter(mine). It was impressive to see how relevant these older detectors still were with so many newer detectors available today.

IMG_20230110_095025__01.jpg

IMG_20230110_143806.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like to have the best of both worlds. One day I’m out with my V3i, which is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future, and the next I’m out with my new XP Deus II. At this point the only thing that holds me back from using the V3i more is I don’t want to put wear and tear on it that will become harder to fix over time. I love my V3i. There’s nothing on the market like it and likely never will be again. Then there’s the Bullseye TRX, which I still consider the best pinpointer ever made. I have 2, and if I could I’d have 5.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like I'm not alone in making the best with a machine which is old and outdated. Sarcasm, Sorry. Something has happened with me learning the MX Sport.  It sets along side of my MXT Pro. 

As I work on understanding the Sport I find I'm learning more on the MXT.  No doubt 2 "Different" machines.  Thru the years I have found setting which worked for me and then failed to learn all the other settings.  Prospecting, Beach, All metal, Relic, Coin and Jewelry, Even back to the White's Series 2 5000D Coinmaster.  Even the TR mode which I knew from my very first detector, An AH Electronics Pro. 

The Sport is my first "Menu driven" detector. I always liked being able to look down and see exactly what my setting are. That and the Sport has a LOT of settings.  I'm hoping the thread continues for us old Model T folks. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting There seems to be some interest in Whites yet.  Keep it up, I like it. 

• Like 1