Minelab, What The Heck Did You Do To My Equinox?????

Well I made it all the way through and for the heck of it......maybe just maybe there was some kind of weird emi interference going in with it being in a park. Some days are good and some are not. 

I went ahead and pulled the trigger today with getting a eq900 by trading off my deus 2. 

Now waiting for the big truck to show up.

Now I know we have shared some messages back and forth with what your thoughts are between the 2 units. 

And as you have said....you personally would not have done the swap...from your own detecting experiences between the 2 units. 

They speak a different language but as you said...there is enough between the 2 to make them similar in performance. 

Maybe your experience was like you have said already....a one time experience that may resolve itself.

Maybe the park you were in recently sprayed some kind of fertilizer and the fresh coating of minerals and such have not been absorbed enough into the ground. 

I have saw others complain about a similar issue on other forums. 

But this has not deterred me from making the change.

I do not think this reply of mine is gonna make you feel any better about the results you had while using your new 900 today but someone else may chime in and give you some food for thought.

I know you are the type of fellow that takes the time to try to figure out why a machine ticks the way it does.

So I am gonna kick back and see where this thread goes..

• Like 1

Instead of this being a one-time issue, like I said in the write-up, I have seen this behavior since hour number one of coin and jewelry hunting use in at least 20 different area parks that are in 4 different cities with 4 different staffs and ground maintenance strategies. This was not an isolated occurrence.

Also, there were no EMI issues at this park today. If there had been the display would have been going nuts with lots of target IDs showing up when I was not moving the coil.  I would not have been able to run this Equinox 900 at 25 sensitivity if there was an EMI problem.

• Like 6

Even on the Manticore I have similar results. For a company that stressed how great the target ID was, it is not. Expanding the range made it worse. The E Trac had way better Target ID than any of the new models. I find the Manticore ups the target ID on copper cents when they are deep to 98 or 99. Way higher than they should be. I don't know if your 900 does that as well. I like the Manticore but it seems it is only good at certain sites. I want to say non EMI sites, but it has worked well on some of those too. Kind of hit or miss on if it's going to work or not. I bring it along but hardly ever pull it out to use. Getting a bit more than disappointed in Minelab recently. I hope they work out your problem Jeff.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Even on the Manticore I have similar results. For a company that stressed how great the target ID was, it is not. Expanding the range made it worse. The E Trac had way better Target ID than any of the new models. I find the Manticore ups the target ID on copper cents when they are deep to 98 or 99. Way higher than they should be. I don't know if your 900 does that as well. I like the Manticore but it seems it is only good at certain sites. I want to say non EMI sites, but it has worked well on some of those too. Kind of hit or miss on if it's going to work or not. I bring it along but hardly ever pull it out to use. Getting a bit more than disappointed in Minelab recently. I hope they work out your problem Jeff.

Your post sounds familiar. 

These two bullet points from my review are specifically about clad dime and copper Memorial penny target ID instability.

- 4”+ deep flat laying clad dimes and copper pennies were triple beeping during left/right DD coil passes as if they were on the surface.

- Target IDs for those 24 high conductor coins were ranging from 68 to 98 during normal sweeps circling those coin targets whether they were 4” deep or 8” deep with very little possibility of telling the difference between a clad dime and copper Memorial penny.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jasong said:

Every time I get a hair away from pulling the trigger on a 900 or Manticore, I read something that makes go back to thinking I should just find a used 800 and wait for something better. Well keep up the reports, curious to hear if any planned or potential updates help, and if there is any compelling reason to use one of these newer machines for prospecting over an 800. I like new stuff, but not stuff that doesn't work well. 

As long as you just use an 800 or 900 for single tone Gold Mode gold prospecting where you dig it all.........no problem. Great prospecting VLFs.

I'd just go the 800 myself in your case Jason, pick up a cheap one from someone "upgrading" to the 900 😛

You don't go diving, you look for gold and if you want ID accuracy for cherry picking the 800 is great.

I'm not at all surprised about your report Jeff, I've been saying the same about the Manticore ID's since I got one, a big disappointment there, especially seeing they advertise it as having better ID's, that's a blatant lie if you ask me.

I like everything about the Manticore, in fact love it, the ID's are it's let down, of course with messy ID's comes messy tones.

It's certainly a step backwards when it comes to ID's and for that reason alone I will still keep using my 800 for situations I need that accuracy.  The CTX is well and truly still king for ID.

• Like 8

Very good write up Jeff, I have thought about selling my 800 for a 900 but have been reluctant to do so. I know they go deep and separate well, but so does the 800. Being a cherry picker those jumpy ID's would be useless to me in our manicured parks.

• Like 5

Yeah, the 800 and 900 are both fine detectors. The 800 is still my all time favorite despite everything we now know about it. The 900 could be a worthy successor if it didn’t have such juvenile target IDs where I use it.

Thanks Simon and schoolofhardNox for giving your supporting information that I am not the only user noticing this. Like I said, I noticed it right off the first time I hunted with the 900 back in January. I thought it might be due to cold, frozen ground……Not!

• Like 2