Minelab Software Updates

I have been reading all the discussion about an upcoming MCore update; but as a new Minelab user, I am more interested in long term support. 

How have Nox updates been?  Does anyone know how long the MCore will remain in active software development with Minelab before being put on the back burner for new machine development?  Nokta Macro has been quick with updates, but Minelab seems to move so slow. 

What is everyone’s opinion of how the Manticore will be supported after the upcoming software release?

3 hours ago, AhNibblet said:

I have been reading all the discussion about an upcoming MCore update; but as a new Minelab user, I am more interested in long term support. 

How have Nox updates been?  Does anyone know how long the MCore will remain in active software development with Minelab before being put on the back burner for new machine development?  Nokta Macro has been quick with updates, but Minelab seems to move so slow. 

What is everyone’s opinion of how the Manticore will be supported after the upcoming software release?

My Equinox 800 had 2 subsequent updates after the initial release I believe. Obviously they won't have any more for the 600/800 since they now would prefer you purchase a new 700/900. Just seeing the way Minelab has operated the past few years I suspect there will be an update or two forthcoming for the Manticore in the next couple years but I would be extremely surprised if it was more than that. Minelab definitely isn't Nokta! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Minelab mostly fix what they have to, do not expect Legend level updates to the Manticore, any update is a massive bonus, they may do none.

The GPZ 7000 which cost 10 grand lacked updates, it has stuff that needs fixed like changing between difficult to normal can randomly drop out audio requiring a power cycle to get it to work again, it's had this problem for years and they are not fixing it, they even said they're not going to fix it.  It also links to PC software for mapping and that was broken for years.

Minelab are not the type of company to provide updates other than for necessities and even then it may not happen.

They have a history of not providing good update support.  They're WYSIWYG (wiz-ee-wig) detectors, what you see is what you get, don't expect it to change.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That is a sad story, but yes. Even personal contact with Minelab members is difficult and almost impossible... they don't answer your emails. They don't care. That is nothing special in big corporation factories.

• Like 1

ok, my .02 as a new to minelab customer, was a garrett whites sorta guy

IF you stick with Minelab and they do make a good product, as good as any company, when they announce a new..whatever, new metal detector, Immediately,  sell your old one.  ASAP

after they talked about releasing the 800, the weeks following the "unboxing" and find vids, the Etrak prices dropped (so I bought a new in box CTX, two coils, harness, books for 1500) in the weeks following the release (talk..of release) and vids of folks diagnosing performance based on the box cover and grainy photos, used 800's dropped a bit..then when they actually dumped the 900s and still did the carrot dangle trick with the manticore, used 800's were going for 500 bucks, CTX's are way down as well. When the announce the release of the CTX4040 or whatever it'll be called, dump your manti's and prepay obediently!! 😁

it was cool they made the 900's take the 800's coil, I lost less money selling the two 800 coils (percentage wise) than I did selling the 800. 

just a heads up..I'll have a Manticore for sale when they do announce the newest CTX... I dont have a problem, I can quit needing the newest metal detector anytime. yup.  

• Haha 3

No doubt Manticore is a perfect metal detector for me and works very, very well, but that is not for everyone's product... that is another side of the story. The question is how good the update will be...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Medina said:

ok, my .02 as a new to minelab customer, was a garrett whites sorta guy

IF you stick with Minelab and they do make a good product, as good as any company, when they announce a new..whatever, new metal detector, Immediately,  sell your old one.  ASAP

after they talked about releasing the 800, the weeks following the "unboxing" and find vids, the Etrak prices dropped (so I bought a new in box CTX, two coils, harness, books for 1500) in the weeks following the release (talk..of release) and vids of folks diagnosing performance based on the box cover and grainy photos, used 800's dropped a bit..then when they actually dumped the 900s and still did the carrot dangle trick with the manticore, used 800's were going for 500 bucks, CTX's are way down as well. When the announce the release of the CTX4040 or whatever it'll be called, dump your manti's and prepay obediently!! 😁

it was cool they made the 900's take the 800's coil, I lost less money selling the two 800 coils (percentage wise) than I did selling the 800. 

just a heads up..I'll have a Manticore for sale when they do announce the newest CTX... I dont have a problem, I can quit needing the newest metal detector anytime. yup.  

I was just looking for a used 800 for cheap and actually I'm pretty surprised there doesn't seem to be much out there. Did all the 800's sell quick, or did a lot of people keep theirs?

The only used ones I can find, I can get for about the same price new with a discount. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasong said:

I was just looking for a used 800 for cheap and actually I'm pretty surprised there doesn't seem to be much out there. Did all the 800's sell quick, or did a lot of people keep theirs?

The only used ones I can find, I can get for about the same price new with a discount. 

I think most people that wanted to sell theirs to fund a new machine already did.  The 600 & 800 are still good machines and its nice to have a backup or loaner so I'm guessing people are holding on to theirs, that's why I kept mine.

3 hours ago, jasong said:

People are perhaps holding onto them more now that they've found the 900/Manticore aren't as good for some applications, the Manticore doesn't even have any coils available yet.  I'm never parting with my 800, it's found me the most out of every VLF I've got by far, and I just enjoy using it.   The Equinox was just a brilliant machine, yes it has some issues with build quality mainly affecting heavy duty water hunters with leaking and coil ears breaking but a good percentage of them will be people using their detector to lift their body off the ground when they get up from a dig.  Some genuinely break when they shouldn't like my CTX's ears on the 17" coil but others I'm sure are people doing the wrong thing so it makes the problem sound worse than it is.  In saying all that the ears wouldn't be breaking with people doing the wrong thing near as often if they were built stronger and thicker like Nokta's ears.

There was a fair few sales here in NZ for 800's and we are such a small market so it's noticeable more so but it stopped quickly, and I haven't seen one for sale for a while now.  The people were selling to upgrade to the Manticore in most cases as their reason for sale.

I see no reason to sell it as I may end up with a 900 in the future if my 800 dies and the 800 is discontinued and then I've got all the coils for it already.  Ok Ok, I also hate parting with detectors so I'd not sell anyway 😛

In NZ the Legend is the easy detector to get on the second hand market, and way less people owned one.  It's been tempting as the used price can be very low.

3 hours ago, jasong said:

You could put a WtB in the classifieds here and see what happens....  It worked for me when I could find a particular coil for months on Ebay.