Steve Herschbach

Tin, Bolts, Washers, And Other Ferrous Items That Read As Non-ferrous

not to mention the old square nails were apparently a much better grade of iron...I have found many that appeared to be just-made...

Thanks for your unending pursuit of knowledge and for sharing the same.

fred

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, you have just confirmed several of my suspicions. The amount of rust and the location of the rust on nails and flat iron sheets also seems to add to the signal problems.

• Like 1

I have no idea why this has popped up as a recent thread but I like it - maybe you thought it was pertinent Steve and brought it to the top of the forum?

The first paragraph at the bottom of the Q & A page describes how high frequency detectors are perhaps not the best at discrimination.  Is this perhaps why the discrimination on my Gold Monster has not been as accurate as I was hoping?  I was expecting miracles of course :laugh:

Due to the fact that high frequency is not as good at discrimination is that perhaps just one of the reasons that the multi-frequency Equinox is going to be better at discriminating targets - it has the lower frequency range to assist.  Obviously Multi IQ, processing speed, etc is probably having a greater influence but...? 

And the second paragraph at the top of the page where it is talking about positive and negative signals.  So non-ferrous can ONLY give positive signals whereas ferrous are mostly negative but can be positive.   So that made me think that if something is giving a negative signal at all it can simply be dismissed as rubbish - yippee.        But then I imagined a beautiful big chunk of gold that had a heap of ironstone attached and assume that it might give positive and negative signal responses??  

When responding please take into account that I have never used a VLF with TID numbers or visual displays other than the Monster with its simple Ferrous/Non Ferrous read out  :wink:

Thanks.

• Like 1

I bump old threads now and then if they seem like they got overlooked. Lots of new forum members did not see the old stuff and don’t look back that far.

The part that is missing here is the ground. A detector sees everything under the coil. The ground is a massive ferrous target. Therefore, ALL targets are a mix of ferrous and non-ferrous signals. Almost any non-ferrous target will read ferrous if the ground iron mineral content is high enough.

The assumption is that if a target gives a ferrous signal it might be bad, so skip it. The way it should be done properly is that if a target gives any non-ferrous response at all, then dig it.

The problem as this article notes is lots of ferrous will read as a very high non-ferrous signal. The trick there is the false signal will typically come in around the silver dollar range on a detector with target id. Gold will read lower. Unless your detector does not have target id (like the Gold Monster, just ferrous/non-ferrous) in which case the false signal just reads non-ferrous.

Which is why having actual target id numbers is helpful when dealing with trash.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Discrimination...... whats that????? I just dig EVERYTHING......regardless, & it pays off. :biggrin: Talking gold detecting only. Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:  

I've quickly learnt with my GM 1000 to dig everything, its telling me its junk and I spin the coil around 90 degrees and it's saying its not junk on some passes and junk on other passes so I dig the area and find a little speck of gold and no junk at all.  I just can't trust the discrimination on it, if i did I'd be missing a lot of gold.  My Gold Bug pro's discrimination seemed more reliable, but in saying that, it didn't find these tiny specks at all the GM is finding, they have to touch the coil to make any response at all on the GBP...

The more I use and understand the GM1000 the more I like it.  

• Like 3

Further to what has been written in the above answers...

Some searchplaces are so instested with iron that they're pretty unworkabke...Again, I have to bring out european pure nickel coins ( as are canadian coins too) .

You face an iron infested place?  Well, just do as usually, using your best settings for the places.

Then use a NO MOTION mode on the same place, and just ground balance it to salt...

What now will happen is all PURE ferrous targets will be IGNORED, all ferrous alloys will give signals. Pretty useful for relic hunting and Canadian coins hunting.

Purists will state that de detector will not be tuned to the actual site conditions...believers will walk away with finds...

This trick is very useful once you understand it...I had plenty of succes in relics and coins using  this trick with the GBPro in all metal mode, GB to "0"  From then on, you will know what you were missing... 

If the detector beeps, dig !! no matter if the ID is a ferrous one  !! 

Happy hunting...!!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      High Frequency Gold Nugget Detector Roundup
      Our cup runneth over!
      Just a few years ago the market for "over 30 kHz nugget detectors" was quite limited. For a long time there were only a few options:
      Fisher Gold Bug 2 (71 kHz) $764 with one coil
      Minelab Eureka Gold (6.4, 20, & 60 kHz) Discontinued $1049 when new with one coil
      White's GMZ (50 kHz) Discontinued $499 when new with one coil
      White's GMT (48 khz) $729 with one coil
      Things were that way for over a decade. Then in 2015 Makro introduced the Gold Racer (56 kHz) $599 with one coil. Sister company Nokta released the AU Gold Finder (56 kHz) $799 with two coils
      Then in 2017 we see the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 (45 khz) at $799 with two coils. And although not a dedicated nugget detector, the Deus high frequency coil options (up to 80 kHz) were also released, $1520 for complete detector with one HF coil.
      Now in 2018 we get another general purpose machine, the Equinox 800, that can hit 40 khz, $899 with one coil. And just announced...
      the Makro Gold Kruzer (61 kHz) $749 with two coils and
      the White's Goldmaster 24K (48 khz) $699 with two coils
      These last two announcements have made barely a ripple in the prospecting world, or at least going by other forums that seems to be the case. There are various reason for that (forums not being prospecting oriented or being Minelab centric) but still the lack of buzz is interesting. I do believe people are both burned out by all the new introductions and that the market is saturated with high frequency models. Leaving out the general purpose machines to sum up the current options it looks like the current "sweet spot" for pricing is a high frequency model at $749 with two coils.
      Makro Gold Racer 56 kHz - $599 one coil
      White's Goldmaster 24K 48 kHz - $599 one coil
      White's Goldmaster 24K 48 kHz - $699 two coils
      White's GMT 48 khz - $729 one coil
      Makro Gold Kruzer 61 kHz - $749 two coils
      Fisher Gold Bug 2 71 kHz - $764 one coil
      Minelab Gold Monster 1000 45 kHz - $799 two coils
      Nokta AU Gold Finder 56 kHz - $799 two coils

High frequency nugget detectors compared

White's Goldmaster 24K, Minelab Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Makro Gold Kruzer

Minelab Gold Monster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Impact
    • By green
      I've been trying to make a PI detector as a learning exercise in another forum(Geotech). Asked the question below but haven't got a reply. Maybe someone here could answer the question. 
      Nugget sizing info:
      We are often asked how many pieces per gram or ounce. It is very hard to predict how many pieces there are per gram or ounce as the # of nuggets by weight varies quite a bit per batch. But in general you can expect around 1-2 pieces of gold for 4 mesh, 2-4 pieces of 6 mesh per gram, 7-12 pieces of 8 mesh per gram and around 15-20 per gram for 10 mesh. You can expect many more pieces for smaller 12 (around 20-25), 14-16 (around 30-50 or more) pieces and hundreds for fine gold. Every batch is very different and each piece of gold is natural and of course therefore unique. Some may be flat and light or rounded and very dense (heavy).

How small a nugget can a good PI detect? What mesh size would make good test targets for smaller nuggets? 8 mesh, 10 mesh, both or other?

Any guess on typical TC for 8 or 10 mesh nuggets?
    • By Ridge Runner
      I myself like the looks of screen of my MX Sport but not the weight. It would be great for it to trim some fat off of it. Out of all the ID numbers it has to offer I’d like to be able to notch out one at a time. 
      We all know that different frequencies is better than others depending on what you’re detecting. If I can I’d like it to be multi frequency where I can run in all and single one if I do wish.
       What I want is a detector that it will do the major part of my detecting. My thing I’m a coin hunter first be it on a beach are around some old homestead . I’ve never been a relic hunter but it would have to offer the same for that person too .
      I love nugget hunting but it’s just not a lot of gold in Texas but it would be great to have some high frequencies to nugget hunt. I don’t see the need that I should have to buy another detector for what little I do get to nugget hunt.
       We all different and our wants runs different too.I know too it’s other detectors offer the things I’m wanting from White’s right now but I’d like to see America made on the side.
       Chuck 
    • By 1515Art
      Detecting heavy metal.

• By dsrtdwg1
      Today I tried something different, trying to cherry pick only deep high tones. Had the 6 inch coil on my 800, very trashy small 100+ year old park.
      Set  it on Park 1, noise cancel, manual GB, 5 tones with the first 3 segments set to 0 volume 1 tone the last 2 were both set to max volume and tone,
      set the recovery speed at 5 and 0 iron bias. My question to those that  know is, am I losing depth with this kind of setting? It seemed to work well, I have been 
      trying to figure out  how to park hunt deep silver,.All the pieces in the image were only giving tone, no numbers and were all carrot deep. Suggestions?

• By afreakofnature
      For some reason I have never turned on my machines in the house, i always go out in the field, or for VLFs the yard, and turned on there to learn.   I was curious if you turned on your machines like the Zed, PIs and VLFs inside, would it hurt the electroincs? Especially if its constanly overloading or going off on all the crazy EMI.  I just want to turn on to play with the settings and practice more with the buttons, etc.. Not actually detect.  Funny been detecting now for 5 years and never bothered to ask or try