Loren Lemcke On The Manticore

He says basically what I've been saying all along which makes me glad it's not just me thinking this. The Manticore is really a tough machine to use mentally. It's more work. It's more fatiguing. The 800 is more pleasurable to use in my opinion, but I have not used the 800 since I got the Manticore. The Manticore chirps on a lot of stuff, and one way falses quite a bit. On the right iron object it can 2-way false. That being said I really think it's doing some things other detectors maybe can't. The last 6 silvers I've found came from previously hunted spots. 4 today from a school yard playground I and a couple of more people have worn out many times with the 800, Etrac, and even the DII has been there some. It's mild sandy ground and the coins a deep. Some very deep.

If I had just found one silver today I might have said yeah we just missed that one, but not 4. The same thing a couple of weeks ago. A yard I and a buddy hit really hard a couple of times. We got several silvers a piece on the initial hunts. We decided to hit it again. It's an empty rental. We got mostly fresh drops but in the area we got most of the silver 2 years ago I pulled 2 more silver dimes from the side we really scrutinized. It wasn't that large an area either. We don't normally leave much because we go back over each others side of the yard. There is no way to say the Manticore hit them while others couldn't, but that hunt and again today was very surprising.

Anyway AT-HC Recovery 3-4 is my go to. I've lowered the ferrous limits to what Tom D. equated to F2-0 on the 800. I did this right off the bat so I'm used to it. I think it's 8 upper and 3 lower. If I was in shotgun iron I would be using AT-LC with the same ferrous limits settings.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2023 at 2:00 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

Has the Manticore been a perfect fit for anyone out there so far...........

Does Tom Dankowski count?  😁

• Haha 2

ffs...wasn't going to watch cause the dudes wearing a fur hat...indoors... that said, shame on me. I give it a very rare "yes, good video", first thanks for not talking for 3 minutes about getting us to like, follow, subscribe.  Over all good explanation and really a reminder of my initial struggle with the 3030. 

the entire section about stfu and go into it knowing its going to complicated was a gentle reminder to deal with it, and realize by 100 hours, the equinox will be a paperweight, or sold to finance coils....and I would LOVE to see a 4" round coil, not a compromise.

back to the vid, that narrow separation of good targets and crap...did it with my 3030, looking forward to getting overmyself and finish the learning curve

the vid is just how nice the 3030 could separate targets, looking forward to getting off my highhorse, and ignoring those facebook goofs whining about falsing 😄

I'm guessing a bit of patience and staring at the menu we'll arrive at similar discrimination(s) 

• Like 2

I did like his video...prolonged suffering?...maybe a tiny bit...you need to put the hours on the machine just as with any other. The 800 popped and farted on tiny objects just like the M-core does..neither were a beginners machine in my opinion. The graph on the M-core may be a little more confusing to those not used to using a detector such as the CTX. The one place where I wanted to use the M-core the most is one of the places where I have had the most annoyances with it. It's a fresh water beach loaded with black sand and bottle caps of all varieties. I'm thinking this will change when we get the small coil cuz sometimes there are multiple targets under the large coil. There has been some talk of wide range of TID's on the M-core...I think this has a lot to do with depth and high soil mineralization. Very deep targets over 10 inches mild soil inches like where @phrunt hunts are probably the reason. I can usually accurately predict targets in the parks that I hunt even though the numbers may vary 2-3 digits so I've not found that to be too much of a problem. I've not picked up a detector in a couple months due to other projects but will get back to it soon...there are two kinds of serious treasure hunters those that have a M-Core and those that are gonna get one...😊

strick  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, strick said:

...There are two kinds of serious treasure hunters those that have a M-Core and those that are gonna get one...😊

When did you get added to the Minelab marketing payroll??  😏

• Haha 5

On 5/4/2023 at 4:29 PM, strick said:

I've not picked up a detector in a couple months due to other projects but will get back to it soon..

strick  

Wait, you're in Cali where they have had the best beach erosion/cuts in years. Other projects? What could possibly be more important than to get out there and get you're fair share of all the rings that are being reported?

You need to cut back on your honey-do list strick. Learn to be a better negotiator. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, Bill (S. CA) said:

Loren provides a very interesting assessment of the Manticore after 100 hours of use:

"Highly demanding, challenging" for hunters who think they can use a machine this powerful in iron by ear (or even  by meter / graph) --that is with no basic skills.  Just testing wide / narrow tells you a lot of the spikes. I was taught to look for "sets" of signal  characteristics.  Anything else is the "tail wagging the dog."  If you are  hoping for "push button detecting" ya, you're going to have problems.  If you take a second to examine the relationship between the ground and your signals the Manticore's tech forms part of a formidable ID package.  It's like we have this bunch of "technicians" acting like they have a faulty cell phone in their hands...

cjc

• Thanks 1

I'm up to 26 silver coins for the year. All dimes except for 3 quarters and one half dollar. All with the Manticore. I got mine Jan. 10th. I only really get to hunt weekends. I don't live in a part of the country with endless rows of houses that are of the age to produce silver. All of my silver is from previously hunted places or public spots I know have been hit pretty hard before due to there just being deep silver dimes left. The silver I do find at these places being either in pretty heavy trash or close to edge of detection deep. There is a less of a fine line between my digs and no digs compared to the equinox. I don't know yet if the Manticore is giving me more positive dig info than the Equinox did. As of right now I expect it is because it seems I have more confidence on the ones I do decide to dig. I do have to scrutinize more falsing iron with the Manticore. I have a lot more great sounding one way targets with the Manticore. Only to turn and it go either straight to an iron tone or jumping up into the ferrous line underlined in red. I still feel I have a lot to learn about this detector.      

• Like 5