Top Notch Quality On Boarderline Sand Scoop

Recently my old RTG sand scoop started to fall apart. Served me well but I put the bugger through hell and then some.

I have a regular scoop but it's big, wide and I prefer the basket type as they shake out easier. There was a thread about scoops and Michael pointed out Boarderline Engineering so thought I would give them a try. The scoop is absolutely built to last with impecable quality and attention to detail. It should work well around the lakes and rivers here as well as the beach. I bought the heavier duty all stainless as the lightweight ones can bend too easy getting rocks and gravel out of the way. Probably be the last scoop I'll need to buy.

70430148440__3EEF9C87-FA7A-40FB-9D0E-F0A80431EBE9.JPG

70430147305__796870CD-2389-419C-8D0E-4646B661CB99.JPG

• Like 7

On 4/27/2023 at 8:44 PM, kac said:

I bought the heavier duty all stainless as the lightweight ones can bend too

Looks like a nice scoop!
But, a scoop at 5" requires good pinpointing, especially in the wave wash. I know this would be too small for me. 

Nice scoop. Can you push on the back of it with your foot.

10 hours ago, Skyshark said:

How do you find the mesh strength? Can you bend it by pushing on it?

Rock solid, can't bend wires with fingers at all. Has a brace and rim so you can push with your foot. took it to the beach other day and it worked really well. On the heavy side but very well balanced and comfortable.

In the surf it could be tricky if you don't pin point well but I got this as I like the basket scoops for beach combing. I also like the smaller scoop for lakes and rivers especially ones with small rocks and gravel. The smaller lip makes it easier to work rocks out of the way.

• Like 3

I bought that exact same scoop a few years back for my occasional trip to the beach.  I contacted the guy that sells them and had him weld a 1” wide solid band across the back of the mesh basket thinking that the mesh would bend if I pushed on it with my foot.  He did it at no extra charge!   However that mesh is extremely stout and, for my use, I probably didn’t need that extra band.  

• Like 2

I have known Mike, who owns Borderline, for many years.  He made scoops for White's at one point and then went off on his own.  I have two of his scoops and as has been mentioned in other posts, the mesh is very stout.  Both of mine have been used heavily over the past ten years or more and are in great shape.  Plus Mike is the best and if you ever have a problem he will make it right.  I can't recommend him highly enough.

Pictured is one of my two.  Great in the dry and the wet if you don't mind bending over. The angled basket allows you to "chop and scoop" at the same time. 

Borderline.jpg

• Like 2

I've used borderline scoops from the late 80s-2008 , about 20 years. Think I went through 7 of them in that time. Mostly his shorter galvanized ones which were cheaper. I destroyed every 1 of them except the SS. All of them , over time would separate at the welds where the upper wire met the solid lip of the scoop. Not all wires , but gradual and then the scoop starts to break down and collapse. These are small scoops and he can make them bigger. But then you have to start thinking about weight. Mike was easy to work with and I never complained about his scoops. When you compare the prices to other scoops , they are hard to beat. Remember , I'm a maniac with scoops and I beat the hell outta them ! But finally had to step up my game as I got older and went with bigger diameters and longer handles. Along with higher prices. Lol. As many as I've destroyed , I have no problem recommending his scoops for the price.

• Like 2