Got Back To My Roots The Other Day

I got back to my roots yesterday at the local river for a dig. I am just amazed at how much gold is lurking in those plant roots from the upper flood plain when I wash them. Most people ignore them, so often times the gold has been building up for many years. The drop riffle design is a perfect fit too. You can wash them in the hopper, and what roots that get loose in the sluice just roll over the drop riffles. They do plug up the classifier screen a bit, but a quick scrub with a brush cleans them up quickly!

april24.jpg.ddc1decaa81ae1917f5be6ff3d4ee5c5.jpg

april24a.jpg.a70bae7570ef9105b5677ec0a55eb2dc.jpg

april24b.jpg.9f50c007aa5d6de51521f7729875ea80.jpg

april24c.JPG.151b16c789ad8ee15a1d0cdd011c1789.JPG

• Like 8

Nice work with the roots, always check roots and the heavy moss when sluicing the creeks and small rivers.

Grandfather always said that some days you will find more in that stuff than the rocks.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 3:28 AM, Valens Legacy said:

Grandfather always said that some days you will find more in that stuff than the rocks. Good luck on your next hunt.

Yeah, root gravel is nice here in IN at the glacial boundary.

If I'm getting skunked/bored at the usual locations, I can almost always find a root-bound area on the interior bend of a gravel bar and pan a big count of micro gold. And occasionally flakes or actual pickers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, glacialgold said:

If I'm getting skunked/bored at the usual locations, I can almost always find a root-bound area on the interior bend of a gravel bar and pan a big count of micro gold. And occasionally flakes or actual pickers.

I just wonder how many people forget to check the roots near the creeks that they have been panning or sluicing.

There is almost always some gold in those roots at the edge of the water.

• 3 weeks later...