Interesting Tid Test: Beach Sens Vs Dive

ColonelDan

I watched the video.

I think History Teacher is a really good guy. The person referenced in the video who came up with the idea behind it, who from his own telling has zero saltwater beach experience...........?

In my opinion that video showed more about what overall weight of a target (not non-ferrous conductivity) has to do with audio responses using differently weighted SMF programs than it did about target ID.

For me anyway, I would be much more concerned about a 2.5 gram zinc penny with a target ID around 84 and a man or woman's ring with enough gold in it to weigh 6 to 10 grams and have a target ID of 82 if they were buried in the 6 to 10" range at a really mild mineralization beach like the one in the video, where they both might retain their target IDs a little better and have much more solid audio especially in the case of a zinc penny.

David's entire premise is to avoid digging zinc pennies which is much more of a land based attitude. 

Unfortunately, if a person is deliberately trying to find larger gold rings, digging good sounding zinc pennyish type IDs is a requirement whether on turf or at the beach. 

Personally, I just want a ferrous/non-ferrous choice on the saltwater beaches I go to if that is even possible due to levels of black sand. Target IDs are only accurate on shallower targets if at all on many of those beaches.

• Like 6

It’s an interesting test. I’m not a beach/shore/water hunter (only years ago with the 3030) but I have a big area with hot red soil and it’s important to see different targets behaviour. I want to create another prog. for mineralized soils, hunting low conductors, and I’ll test both programs...I think that Beach Sens will be better based on frequencies it uses but also because friends of mine told me that it’s performing on mineralized soils. I like this video test!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

In my opinion that video showed more about what overall weight of a target (not non-ferrous conductivity) has to do with audio responses using differently weighted SMF programs than it did about target ID.

This Vid just shows what I have been talking about. First the D2 throwing numbers all over.
Second, how the machine is bitey on deep nonferrous targets and VERY difficult to tell the difference between ferrous wrap-around and nonferrous.

Go to the 8min mark of the Vid where the user states he is getting no TID numbers, and the tone is bitey and breaking down. 

I routinely check deep targets in identical programs of Beach and Beach Sensitive. Not too worried about missing BIG gold. Worried about missing chains which the Dive program is not the best at. 

That’s the same thing I was talking about.

As we know, the D2 is primarily a tone machine...which is how I use it.  I posted this video as an interesting demonstration of how the frequency weightings affect TID.  A takeaway here is that by switching programs over a wavering tone, you may get a better idea of what your coil is trying to tell you.  I've done this on our beaches and in some cases, it cleared up the picture somewhat.  Having said that, I'm still a tonal kinda guy. 😉

Just the view from my sandy foxhole.... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ColonelDan said:

As we know, the D2 is primarily a tone machine...which is how I use it. 

1 hour ago, ColonelDan said:

A takeaway here is that by switching programs over a wavering tone, you may get a better idea of what your coil is trying to tell you.

Not trying to be argumentative here. However, this Vid you posted in fact shows the Deus 2 NOT being a good tonal machine. 

I refer back to the 8-minute mark of this Vid where the user is unsure of what is in the ground and is trying to get the machine to throw him a number. No person could dig that target with any confidence because of the ratty, bitey, broken tone it was giving!  

The user is unable to confirm the target on tone alone. I KNOW, as 1000's of deep targets I have looked at sound identical FERROUS and non-ferrous.

Also, I want to point out that the user has very nice sand and little black sand. Black Sand will only amplify the tonal issues and breakdown will occur at a much less detection depth.  

However, what the Deus 2 is better at than most is throwing a number that will give hints to what might be there. Only after an exhausting 360 degree look and hopefully a group of numbers can one make a determination of the target. 

As a reminder, I am a beach hunter only and my goal is to dig all nonferrous. 

In my opinion: The Deus 2 is a lousy tone machine but a good numbers machine! [on deep targets] 

Midalake, do you own a Deus ll ? Just curious. 

Much depends on the particular beach and its mineralization.    I too am a ferrous/nonferrous kinda guy that uses VDI as more of a "second opinion"or just another indicator of what might be down there.

• Like 2

I 100% agree with ColonelDan.

• Like 1