Weird 1967 Quarter Found.

59 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

My assessment:  1966 clad, 1967 clad, 1967 clad 

But don’t take my word for it.  Showing us edge pics of probable clad coins is not really going to be definitive.  Have you looked at what the copper clad cores look like on non-corroded pocket change?  It’s pretty highly variable.  If you factor in the bi-metallic galvanic effects and other environmental elements that cause corrosion, on clad, the visual results are all over the map.  So, if you still really think you have something there, you can:

1) Take to a local coin dealer and have them assess it for free.

2) Purchase a silver acid test kit.

2) Send it off to be assessed and professionally graded (PCGS, etc).

3) Run it through a Coinstar machine.  If it gets rejected, it could be silver…

4) Brush the edge as suggested earlier to expose the copper core.

5) Keep it a mystery, create a semi-fictional backstory of its origin and impress your friends and family with the tale of the “rare” 1967 Quarter variant you discovered.

yeah going to a coin shop tomorrow. Also all 1967 quarters I see on google images show the same thing nickel clad with a copper core that is clearly visible with a orange color. This is also seen on the salt water ruined 1967 quarter that I have as well. Something like this, so i'm just not sure about the one I found today as the rim is blackened instead of green/pink.
il_794xN.2248499294_63m3.jpg

• Like 1

Keep detecting. When you find a silver one, compare it to the clad coins you've found so far.

• Like 1

As Chase has said, it's a clad quarter and is typical of the various damaging stages that a clad coin would go through. Silver will never corrode out on the edge and cause that hollow gap. Color is the least reliable factor in determining coins. Silver usually is black, but I have found gray, milky white, and brown (just like a clad would look). The fact that your quarter lost some "meat" on the edge says it's clad to me as well

• Like 4

Leaving the mint, silver quarters weighed 6.25 g.  Clad quarters OTOH weigh 5.67 g.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

Keep detecting. When you find a silver one, compare it to the clad coins you've found so far.

I have found silver coins. Comparing it with the coin I found yesterday it kinda looks the same. Coin I found yesterday looks less grey black though. SchoolofhardNox is right though it's tough to compare via color as corroded silver can be many colors.

Top coin standing liberty

Bottom coin the quarter I found yesterday 

20230429_072928.jpg

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

As Chase has said, it's a clad quarter and is typical of the various damaging stages that a clad coin would go through. Silver will never corrode out on the edge and cause that hollow gap. Color is the least reliable factor in determining coins. Silver usually is black, but I have found gray, milky white, and brown (just like a clad would look). The fact that your quarter lost some "meat" on the edge says it's clad to me as well

Thats the thing though, the nickel clad has been in the water enough to cause it to turn red but there's no copper leeching? I'll need to find a comparable quarter and show the difference. 
I guess i'll let the coin shop settle it. I'm probably coping with the fact that it's likely a regular old clad quarter

Yeah coin shop said it wasn't anything, I had to check myself and it wasn't silver. Still no copper core though which is very strange. Scratching it produced a silvery core instead of a copper one.

3 hours ago, Sirius said:

Scratching it produced a silvery core instead of a copper one.

2/3 of the thickness is copper core.  1/6 thickness for each of the 75%Cu 25% Ni layer.  You'd have to make a very deep scratch to get down to the core.

Since you've decided scratching it is OK, just take a file to the edge, perpendicular to the face, cutting a notch.  I would think the original orange color of the core would show up then.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

2/3 of the thickness is copper core.  1/6 thickness for each of the 75%Cu 25% Ni layer.  You'd have to make a very deep scratch to get down to the core.

Since you've decided scratching it is OK, just take a file to the edge, perpendicular to the face, cutting a notch.  I would think the original orange color of the core would show up then.

I just scratched it to do an acid test on the rim. But my question is why would it be such a thin layer of copper. These things were made with 75% copper 25% nickel clad in mind, as shown with the other coin of the same year. It's curious so i'm still asking around about what it could be.

31 minutes ago, Sirius said:

I just scratched it to do an acid test on the rim. But my question is why would it be such a thin layer of copper. These things were made with 75% copper 25% nickel clad in mind, as shown with the other coin of the same year. It's curious so i'm still asking around about what it could be.

Not sure what you are asking here (“thin layer of copper”).  The two outer clad layers are 75/25 Cu/Ni alloy which has a silver/nickel appearance. There is no thin layer of copper.  The core is pure copper.  

• Like 1