Manticore = Silver Coins

Hello,

I like the Manticore very well for coin hunting. It finds silver that others have missed. 

I found a guy on YouTube that shared a silver program and I basically use it. At times however, I tweak the program to suit my needs. I hope this helps.

See below for the program:

Manticore Silver Shooter Program

By Metal Detecting NWGA (YouTube).

January 2023 (7:14 minutes)

This is great for cherry picking copper pennies and silver coins as well as nickels.

Settings:

All-Terrain High Conductors.

Recovery Speed at 3. Lower speed for less trash and higher speed for more trash in ground or too much iron.

*Leave open: 22-28; 55-56; 70 on up.

*Discrimination Pattern. Notch out: 0-21; 29-48; 49-54; and 57-69.

Ferrous Limits. Edit from Custom One. Top gray at 10. For lower gray go to Custom 1 and override. The first segment of gray put at -13 and the rest at -21.

Audio Theme. Depth. Min pitch at 10. Max pitch at 65.

Multi IQ.

Sensitivity. Run the hottest you can and back down in increments.

Here's a story I wrote about the Manticore a while back. This story (with photos) hopefully will answer your questions on whether the Manti finds coins. I hope you enjoy the article 🙂

John

Here's the link to it: https://www.icontact-archive.com/archive?c=321494&f=96178&s=102669&m=869021&t=90b4cabee533b419eaf03e6b61c7e438407efa9c7bbadf30b31791b66b8173b7

• Like 1

Thank you Mark for responding to Mick. I was hiking my annual spring section hike on the Appalachian Trail and was away from my PC. 

You are correct, 55-56 are I.H. pennies. Haven't been able to confirm this in the dirt yet but my air test on coins proved these numbers.

No that I'm back home and off the A.T. I plan on putting the Manticore to the test.

Happy hunting,

John

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 11:39 PM, Mick93 said:

I had tested three of my I. H.s a while back and each tested different in air. 58---62 and 65

I found quite a spread in 95% copper IHC's when first doing some air testing with the Manticore.  I probably need to redo those as I get more experience.  But I saw some in the low 50's and up into the low 60's.  As such I have a tone set for the range 51-64 -- broad for this reason.  (And, no, it's not VDI variations on a single coin but tight VDI's for individual coins.)  This VDI tone setting range also opens things up for some trash targets, including Zincolns, but that's the price one pays to give yourself the best chance of finding all the copper IHC's within the detector's capabilities.

BTW, I use 'all metal' and let the tones tell me what I've got.  65 and above are my high tones ("high conductors") so if an IHC happens to VDI up there (as your tests indicate is possible) I won't miss it.

• Like 1