Watch Out For Bees....

2 minutes ago, Deep Beeps said:

Sorry to hear. Ive been hit on occasions over 10 times in the head alone... Im not allergic but couldn't sleep either time those nights from the venom to the thinker.

Murphy's Law... You're always in some tough place when it happens. Never next to your truck door.

Thanks, they say 'once bitten twice shy' I must be a slow learner, but from now on it's 'twice bitten three times shy' I can see how things could get nasty really quickly.

• Haha 1

I wondered what you were so worried about, just some bees and then I read this

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/six-people-stung-to-death-by-killer-bees-after-bus-plummets-into-hive/news-story/b8197fe262b580e57f5a019af6a27a03

The main bees here are big old dopey bumble bees and you can give them a pat, they're quite friendly 😉

• Haha 1

My only experience with what I will assume were Africanized bees happened in 2004 or 2005. I parked my rental car in a wash (don't do that) and headed 'up stream' at LSD (Little San Domingo Wash). I wasn't far up when I had a couple stray bees bop me on the head ... but didn't sting me. What I did notice is that they all headed back in the same direction as I was. It wasn't long when I heard a very low buzzing sound. I walked a little farther being a bit naïve and inquisitive. Soon the buzzing got louder as I stepped up another level of the wash. I could see the hive about 35 to 40 feet away. I could also see a gathering of bees headed in my direction. I turned tail and ran for my car that fortunately was only a short distance away. I jumped in and within a few seconds hundreds of bees were covering my car. I started the engine and high tailed it out of there with the bees slowly blowing off. By the time I got out to Castle Hot Springs Road I think they are all gone. No stings. I think those couple of bees that bopped me on the head went back to the hive and rounded up the troops and then followed the pheremone trail left by the scouts right back to me. Situation made me well aware of bees in the desert. 

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 5

Mike,

They just wanted a ride!

How's fishing?

Mitchel

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, phrunt said:

I wondered what you were so worried about, just some bees and then I read this

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/six-people-stung-to-death-by-killer-bees-after-bus-plummets-into-hive/news-story/b8197fe262b580e57f5a019af6a27a03

The main bees here are big old dopey bumble bees and you can give them a pat, they're quite friendly 😉

Not the case here in the desert SW.... We have some very aggressive bees. Estimates say that 70 % of all bees in Arizona are Africanized. It's no joke.... Every once in a while someone even dies that wasn't allergic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

On 5/11/2023 at 1:46 PM, mn90403 said:

How's fishing?

Mitchel

Mitchel ... Fishing has been hot and cold. Last tournament I only scored one bass. Have another one this Saturday and hoping after pre-fishing the last day allowed (Sunday) that this tourney will be much better. At least it is on water that I have fished many times before with good results so we will see.

• Like 1