New Sdc 2300 Malfunctioning After 6hrs

I bought a new sdc2300 at the beginning of March and finally took it out for the first time for a big 5 day trip in Northern CA about 8 hr drive for me. The first day it worked normally. The second day after using it for a 20 min it started to make a lot of erratic noise. I did a noise cancel and it just went crazy and would not stop making noise, up and down, almost like emu but much worse. I turned the detector on and off a few times, did multiple noise cancels, changed the battery and sensitivity, nothing worked. The next day it worked for about 2 hrs then started to do the same thing and it never worked the rest of the trip. I wish I would have taken it out within 30 days of purchase because then I believe it would be replaced automatically. I told the repair place for Minelab here in the US I’m hoping it’ll be replaced and he said it may be or at least the control board. I’m hoping it does get replaced, a brand new sdc 2300 shouldn’t have this happen and clearly wasn’t made properly.

I will also say there was another older mode sdc my dad was using and it worked flawlessly, so no EMI issues at all, if that is what one may offer as an explanation.

Hoping Minelab comes through although it’s a big bummer to drive all that way and have your new detector not work. I’m hoping Minelab is keeping the quality up, the old sdc seems sturdier to me for some reason, the new one the on/off switch and sensitivity switch wiggle and feel loose where as the old one is right and solid, but maybe I just got a dud. Hope this helps and thanks for reading 

• Sad 2
  • Oh my! 1

Nuggets  

The same thing happen to me with a new detector and it was a Minelab.

So now I carry extra batteries extra detector and extra anything just in case.

My trip was over a thousand miles.

Chuck 

• Like 3

Update: they are sending me a new unit, the repair service has been great. 

• Like 1

Nuggets  

I to was pleased with the service and my problem was a defective battery.

Chuck 

• 1 month later...

A couple months ago a guy approached me in the bush whilst detecting with his 2300 and asked me if I thought his detector was playing up... I couldn't shut the thing up, very noisy with high-low oscillations. A reset, on/off and frequency tune did nothing. He owned the 2300 for a few years and suddenly it started playing up in the days prior to our meeting. I said take it to the local ML repair center coz it was totally un-usable.  Hope this isn't a common thing coz Im arranging to get a 2300 in conjunction with my Brother to act as a backup machine and his primary unit when he comes up to the goldfields.....

On 6/15/2023 at 11:15 AM, Aureous said:

Hope this isn't a common thing coz Im arranging to get a 2300

Not sure that it is common but I had an issue with mine after i'd had it for a couple of years.  Sent it back and they put in a new PCB.  Prior to sending it in it was working one day and then the next time it got used it just went hay-wire!

From a thread I did here on DP Forum.   

"Just an update to this thread. 

SDC had been returned whilst we were away. 

Kevin from Minelab advised via email that they had replaced the main pcb and should have no further issues.  I'm not sure what a pcb is but it sounds technical :laugh::laugh:

Fired it up this arvo and all seemed good."

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:46 PM, Northeast said:

I'm not sure what a pcb is but it sounds technical

PCB= Printed Circuit Board....basically the entire guts has been replaced. :unsure:

• Like 1