A New California Gold Rush

17 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

This guy doesn't have a problem panning for gold in California recently....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAJ21YttwQ

Is it illegal to pan out there?

Panning is the ONLY method of mining you are allowed to do in California. All motorized mining is prohibited.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:35 AM, Doc Bach said:

Sorry about the rant it's a little off topic but does fit into the overall scheme of things.

You're right, it's a misplaced rant and unnecessary on this forum.

It also doesn't apply to panning at all. Gold panning isn't going away under any circumstances. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

All motorized mining is prohibited.

Not necessarily. But it can take a lot of time and money to get permitted which may make a mining operation prohibitive.

15 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Desert areas are more interesting and replenishing can be more plentiful and with more coarse gold down alluvial fans at the apex widening after strong floods. This has to do with the density of the material that is moving, and water alone (rivers) has the least density (1), hence mostly just flakes.

OK, I'm confused.  If it's not water that's the vehicle in desert alluvial fans, what is it?

30 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

OK, I'm confused.  If it's not water that's the vehicle in desert alluvial fans, what is it?

River streams have a large body of water compared to the river bed (floor), so the moving mass is mostly water. In alluvial fans, you have a much higher ratio of solid matter that moves along with the water, hence the overall density that moves in these fans is much higher. This also results in heavier rocks (including gold) being pushed up as the mass is moving. This is what makes alluvial fans so attractive for prospecting, in particular at the Apex widening, because the heavier stuff moves up and not down. You can easily see that yourself when you walk up  alluvial fans and you notice that larger rocks and heavy material is often "floating" on top of lighter material and sand underneath. There is a lot of studies done about mass movements in alluvial fans, you can also find some of this on youtube.

Hope this helps.

GC

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

F.M. I must very respectfully disagree. I use a vertical shaft lawn mower engine to run my high banker pump, a leaf blower to run a dry washer and haul it all in a diesel truck so I see Doc Bachs' post as very relevant to prospecting and see nothing political in it one way or the other.

Me thinks I may bee on thin ice here so I'll wonder off a bit closer to shore.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

It also doesn't apply to panning at all. Gold panning isn't going away under any circumstances. 

Maybe so but the First Amendment seems to be dissapearing faster than the gold.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked