Anyone Pump The Coil Up And Down On Targets?

Accidentally did it today on a fabulous 1840 site, then several more times, it seems, and feed back would be great... Those high iffy high  tones when pumped (no discrimination) would give off that ferrous wonking sound on crap targets, remain high on good.

The pics were 70s on the cross, I pulled some square nails that were also 70s, but grunted when I pumped the voil up and down

PXL_20230505_143234168.jpg

PXL_20230505_195729321.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Medina said:

it seems, and feed back would be great...

Does not matter what type of ground or water I am standing on. 

NEVER going to pump my coil to tell me what is in the ground. 

why not?

I'll try anything to learn whats in the ground, from the path of ace250, atipro, 800, ctx now this, to  including going back and forth to single freq's, changing the program from LC to HC etc......if I could learn with certainty the difference between a forged steel lock ring and a coin, a tightly wadded tinfoil ball and ring,  I'm going to try.

Last night, 23 plugs, 4  "worthwhiles".  my swing time is short and precious.  

• Like 1

When I first heard of the pump method, my initial thought was, "Pumping is moving the coil further from the target. The further the target is from the coil, the more iffy it will sound. Plus,  eventually the distance gets far enough, that nonferrous targets would sound like ferrous". So ya, it didn't make any sense in my mind, but what the heck, I tried it in my test bed.

After the testing, and long story short, I won't be pumping the coil to help determine target type 😉

• Like 1

Some have said this works; some have said it doesn't.  And they may both be right depending upon conditions.  Soil mineralization, target type/size/conductivity, target depth and orientation, detector settings,...

Not everyone has the same acceptance threshold.  Some want to recover only the cleanest hits and others are willing to dig the 'iffys'.  Some even "dig it all" so as to make sure they don't leave a desirable target behind.

It seems the answer to your question might be "sometimes" but not "always" or "never".

8 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Some have said this works; some have said it doesn't.  And they may both be right depending upon conditions.  Soil mineralization, target type/size/conductivity, target depth and orientation, detector settings,...

It seems the answer to your question might be "sometimes" but not "always" or "never".

Can you please describe a scenario in which moving coil further from the target(s) would provide better target information, and how often would that scenario occur?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Can you please describe a scenario in which moving coil further from the target(s) would provide better target information, and how often would that scenario occur?

No, I have better things to spend my time on than do other people's bidding.  If something interests me enough I'll spend time on it.  This doesn't qualify.

I recall when the Equinox was released there were several techniques suggested and the coil pumping was one of them.  I don't remember the details of how I checked it out, just that on at least one good known target it gave iron grunts.  That was enough for me to leave the method on the sidelines.

54 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

No, I have better things to spend my time on than do other people's bidding.  If something interests me enough I'll spend time on it.  This doesn't qualify.

I recall when the Equinox was released there were several techniques suggested and the coil pumping was one of them.  I don't remember the details of how I checked it out, just that on at least one good known target it gave iron grunts.  That was enough for me to leave the method on the sidelines.

There could very well be a scenario in which pumping the coil could help, and you seemed to think so as well. However, I can't think of what that scenerio might be, and of course didn't experience it in my testing. I just politely asked you if you could think of a scenario in which it would help.

Anyway, in my testing, I found pumping made all my iffy nonferrous targets sound and ID worse. It was also worse in my "coin beside nail" test, because with those targets further from the coil, the coin signal and nail signal became blended, instead of separated. Just a guess, but I suspect that's due to the coil's wavefront  getting more spread out the further away it is from the coil. As such, when the nail and coin combo is further away from the coil, the more spread out wavefront ends up encompassing both targets and seeing them as one ferrous target.

• Like 1

DigaL, my thinking as well, the diagrams I've seen of shape of the wave influenced by the shape of the magnetic coil, the frequency etc.. coil flat on ground, one pattern, moving coil up down literally adds half a dozen more

I'm always always open to anything that may decrease me digging crap