Anyone Pump The Coil Up And Down On Targets?

16 minutes ago, Medina said:

DigaL, my thinking as well, the diagrams I've seen of shape of the wave influenced by the shape of the magnetic coil, the frequency etc.. coil flat on ground, one pattern, moving coil up down literally adds half a dozen more

I'm always always open to anything that may decrease me digging crap 

With the coin / nail test, there does seem to be a sweet spot in the coil to target height, that makes the coin ID the best. Although when I'm hunting for nonferrous targets in high iron, the ID doesn't matter, because the ID of the nonferrous target gets dragged down by the iron target. So basically, in that scenario, I dig everything that even gives a hint of a nonferrous tone, regardless of what the ID says. Is that what you do?

18 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Is that what you do?

bang my head on a tree mostly, LOL

I only have maybe...30 hours (vs 1300+ on the 800 for example) so still trying to wrap my brain around how this works, at times it does feel like a CTX

I'm more of a tone hunter, any tone. If it crosses its getting dug up. That said I would at least like to be able to hear a decent tone, but it squeaks, or breaks up or does that weird little thing that makes it iffy, allowing me to make a rational choice...life is only allowing a couple trips a week, for a couple of hours, gone for now are the all day two days in a row hunts...for now..

heres the thing, I got permission on a site- 1840 homestead north ohio, ALREADY in just 3 visits, a confederate lead toy soldier, 9 gilded uniform buttons, several mid 1800 buttons, spoons from early 18's,  3 half cents, excellent relics, 1874 world fair token, indians...its a freaking hot spot, best I've hit (potentially) and some of the densest can slaw, iron nails, slag, halos', scrap, pull tabs, did I mention the ghost ring halos?? this thing wants to make mad passionate love to each and every one of 'em...ffs..  

....oh... did I mention they tearing down the house, (the gorgeous 1860 barn is gone) building a new house, going to use dirt from new dig to grade the yard and we're literally working while construction equipment is doing its thing? I'm guessing 2 weeks, maybe 3 before its gone. Super cool old guy owns it

so its embarrassing asking what I knew was going to be a noob question...no freaking small coils yet... I'm learning a new machine...on a hotspot, already sold the other 2 (cause knowing myself, I would use the previous detector instead of forcing that painful learning curve) appreciate the replies- I do see potential in the mantiwhore..oops.. manticore..sure as feck wish they'd have a freaking small coil already

even "digging it all"  is maddening, various settings seem insanely chattery, dropped sens to 15 in areas, helped a bit, I'll get a good tone, narrow it down, cross it up, its gone..back to the first angle, chattery, so much trash pinpointing is a trick... but cleary the site is loaded  tick tock 👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Medina said:

No freaking small coils yet... I'm learning a new machine...on a hotspot, already sold the other 2 (cause knowing myself, I would use the previous detector instead of forcing that painful learning curve) appreciate the replies- I do see potential in the mantiwhore..oops.. manticore..sure as feck wish they'd have a freaking small coil already

That's an incredible site you've got there. Sucks to have to use an 11" round coil on it, but it's better than nothing. 

When I first got my Legend, I didn't get the 6" and thought I would be fine on my trashy sites with the stock 11" round coil. I figured I would just use a low gain and high recovery. Let's just say that didn't work out too well, and I quickly ordered the 6". The 11" went into the closet, and I didn't take the 6" off until I got the 9.5x6. Now my dilemma is choosing between the 6" round and the 9.5x6. First world problems! 😁

I so loved the small round in the 800, and thought the oval was ok, but the round really fit up in behind around crap where guy told me, he hunts where others wont, or cant. I'd buy a 4" round in a heartbeat