Manticore Strikes Gold!

Well that's a bucket lister! 👍 Congrats on an incredible find. How large is it compared to the others? I don't have a Manticore but I'm sure others will want to know the ID. Excellent!

• Like 1

Fantastic finds!  I'm also curious as to the size of the gold coin.  Just putting something in the photo for scale (such as one of the quarters) would answer for many of us.  Ruler even better.

Carson City minted coins are rather rare finds in the Eastern USA and even tough out West where most of them remained.  Interestingly the mint seems to have gotten stamp-happy around that Centennial year, but only for silver coins.  This pattern included the branch mints in Carson City and San Francisco.  If you look at the highest mintage year of those three mints (including Philadelphia) for dimes, quarters, halves I think the 1876 year was either 1st or 2nd most prolific in every case.  Smaller denominations and especially gold coins (except $20 Double Eagle) had, on the contrary, low mintages for their respective series.  1875 and 1877 shared some of those high mintage figures so maybe it wasn't (solely) due to the mint expecting the 1876 issues to be salted away as souvenirs.

That Viccy 1/2 Sov is a fabulous looking coin,have found both fully and 1/2 Sovs here in the UK,very well done and hope you find some more near by.

• Like 2

Great hunt with some of the best saves I have seen in a while.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1