Whites Electronics History Question

I am interested in the history of White's Electronics.  So, just for fun I have decided to start researching their history.  This is just a personal interest project for me.  I have found just a few newspaper articles, some patent numbers and have or have reference to a few of their brochure packets.  I am interested in all of their history, from the inception, through the geiger counter phase, why they started making metal detectors, when various models were introduced, etc. to the end of the business.  Does any one know of any written history on the company or does anyone have any references or links to references that they are willing to share?   PM's are welcome.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

• Like 1

I know a lot of the history but it would take a long time to write it up. Good references are catalogs and the White's "Discovery" magazines; I have complete collections of both. Most of the catalogs are also available at https://treasurelinx.geotech1.com/Whites/Whites.html. There was a woman named "Patty" who worked at White's who knew every detector model and every date off the top of her head. She ran the literature dept; she had 6 filing cabinets full of historical info and photos, I'll bet every bit of that went to the landfill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 1

Being an "Old Guy" Started detecting before the internet and forums. Getting introduced to detecting required some interest. You couldn't make any informed decisions without research. Find a store which had Metal detecting magazines, Clipping a request coupon, Sending it into White's. requesting a catalog.  Keeping an eye out for people detecting and pestering them for information.  In those times a metal detector was a kids magnet.  At that time one of the biggest competitors to White's was The Bounty Hunter metal detectors. (yup) they were.  You really had to be interested, They were not cheap. 

How we detected was far from todays detecting.  Finds were one after the other, till your knees gave out. I often had more than one pocket full.  A shovel, not a chance, a screwdriver, probe and a garden trowel.  Pin pointer? I could pinpoint very close, Close enough to use that screwdriver.  After 30 years detecting, I got a PP.  Many detectorists would discriminate out nickles just to avoid pull tabs. Back then before iron bottle caps rusted away, They sounded like Indian Head pennies. 

A history of detecting, There's a few of us around who could tell you some stories. 

• Like 3