Some Experiences With The Manticore

I have a site where I have a clad dime buried at 8", which is on the edge of detection in this soil for the Equinoix 800. I can get a faint high tone in one direction in Park 1, Sens 22, Rec. 4, IB 1. Yesterday I took the MC to this site, which has really corrosive ground and deep targets. The iron is very rusted, and even the pull tabs are corroded. Bottle caps are completely gone, with only the foil liner and rust staining remaining. I tried the MC in AT-LC, Sens=22, Rec.=6 and got only the occasional high tone pop every couple of swings. Switching to AT-G I got a good repeatable high tone with VDI ranging from upper 70s to lower 90s. In AT-HC I got a very nice high tone with tight VDI ranging from 79-82, all other settings the same. So I started hunting in AT-HC, but quickly ran into the falsing issue that many have mentioned. I found that the best way to avoid this is to pinpoint and then check the target again with a very short sweep over the exact spot. If the signal is not confirmed it is a nail. It is interesting that this site is more prone to falsing than others that I have hunted. It may be the degree of corrosion on the nails. I hunted mostly in AT-LC, despite the better depth on high conductor targets, just because it slowed me down so much. I did find lots of pull tabs at 8" that were missed with other detectors. I also have found that the MC is better at unmasking than the Equinox. The key is to look for what I call "spongy" signals. What I mean by spongy is the signal is not solid but intermittent. When I trun on the horseshoe, these signials have both iron tones and nonferrous tones, but I like to hunt with horsehoe off (i.e. so that iron tones cannot be heard). Anyway, if the intermittent tones are mostly in the 70s to 90s I dig. I have found a couple of nice Barber dimes digging these kind of signals.

• Like 3

Thanks, although my ground is not that corrosive I seem to be having similar experiences. 

It seems that my 2D screen fades a little to quickly to get a sense of repeating high numbers that would give a little more confidence to dig. 

I have found that AT HC seems to have a lot more EMI issues than AT General.

Are you running recovery speed at 6 most of the time ?

I have not found a sweet spot that I like for RS.  So far I seem to have similar results where ever I set RS, whether its a park my yard or old home site in a farm field. 

On 5/7/2023 at 4:49 PM, Dug D said:

I have not found a sweet spot that I like for RS.  So far I seem to have similar results where ever I set RS, whether its a park my yard or old home site in a farm field. 

I played in my personal iron dust nightmare site- RS- from minimum to max, the 800 was notable, this one...honestly run RS all way to the max and the chatter increased...seems 5 is where its "at" across the board, I honestly can't tell any diff from 5 to 6, 7 and higher is prone to EMI and halos messing with it, lower..dunno even slowing my swing speed doesn't "feel" (yeah yeah, i know..feelings) my main focus right now too much crap to think about slowing it down, but..that said..I will try this week just to see...who knows

I usually run at 5, but I bumped it to 6 for this site due to the number of rusty nails. On the 800 I have found that higher RS helps with mineralization, but have not fully tested this on Manticore. 6 seemed to be the sweet spot for the 800 in my soil, but I doubt the numbers correspond.