Crazy Cool Sand Scoop

I stumbled across this video and thought what a cool idea, you could put on some workman type clothes and wander around the beaches even during high traffic times collecting all the recent drops and act as if you're just a worker cleaning the beach 😛

In some places this type of thing would be quite successful, and a bonus is you really are cleaning the beach, you'd have a lot of rubbish to dump at the end of your scooping session.  I wonder where to buy these things, they even seem to make them with wheels, although I think I like the one in the video better than the one with wheels.

beachcleaningtool.jpg.863369af0bb77708a3ab393bb0fb68e2.jpg

https://www.cleansands.com/store/p40/SAND_CLEANING_TOOL_-_Production_Starting_Soon.html

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Better have a good back and a lot of energy to do a 4 hour hunt with that!

People would be stopping you asking questions every 5 minutes at a crowded beach. 

Maybe he will sell a few to hotels or condos that don't have beach rake service.

You need one without the wheels if you expect to go deep and not just skim the surface. I'm talking 2-3" , which doesn't sound like much. Gotta angle the handle for depth. My buddy got one off the internet cheap , they are there. And I can tell you it is absolutely back breaking work. Not only that , you better have strong legs and arms and be prepared to pay the price for the next 2 days. It's not worth it...

• Like 1

Ok, sounds like a bad idea after all, just made it look so easy in the video 🙂

I think a lot of that may depend on the sand perhaps? A Gold Coast in Australia where I lived near the sand was soft and light, every step you sank in the light soft sand, I can understand in firmer packed sand it wouldn't be too good but might be OK in Gold Coast style sand.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

Ok, sounds like a bad idea after all, just made it look so easy in the video 🙂

I think a lot of that may depend on the sand perhaps? A Gold Coast in Australia where I lived near the sand was soft and light, every step you sank in the light soft sand, I can understand in firmer packed sand it wouldn't be too good but might be OK in Gold Coast style sand.

Looks easy in the video because he is only going 1-2" deep and that sand is very soft , light , flat and groomed. Sand usually is uneven or has dips from footprints , etc. Notice he only goes about 10 feet and has to stop. The sand piles up fast , creating more weight and drag. You need to go deeper for the gold that sinks fast in drysand. Wetsand ? Forget it. Often the targets get pushed to the side and out because the sand bunches up. It is cool and they do work. But try it for 4 hours. Just be prepared to see a doctor or massage therapist afterwards. Lol

• Like 1

Ok, I lived in the Venice, Florida area many years ago.  On Sunday mornings I would go out with a scoop and look for shark's teeth.  I found some nice ones with the scoop that they sold there.  Some of those scoops are used here in California to get sand crabs for bait.  You can also use a detector scoop for that as well.

There are some people in Florida that have added a twist to the shark sand scoop.  It would be ideal for an area that had lots of jewelry.  You scoop and then flip it over and it spreads out on a mesh so you can see what you found.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Ok, I lived in the Venice, Florida area many years ago.  On Sunday mornings I would go out with a scoop and look for shark's teeth.  I found some nice ones with the scoop that they sold there.  Some of those scoops are used here in California to get sand crabs for bait.  You can also use a detector scoop for that as well.

There are some people in Florida that have added a twist to the shark sand scoop.  It would be ideal for an area that had lots of jewelry.  You scoop and then flip it over and it spreads out on a mesh so you can see what you found.

They call the sand flea scoops "Florida snow shovels". 

• Like 1

Maybe a harness and just walk around ???

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dig It said:

Maybe a harness and just walk around ???

I tried a belt/rope combo and tried pulling it behind me using just my legs. Another fail. We even tried a fat tire electric bike. Failure #2. Only thing we thought of would be at small fat tire lawn mower/tractor type that the parks department uses. But that is not allowed and would be cited. 

On 5/12/2023 at 2:04 PM, King-Of-Bling said:

Only thing we thought of would be at small fat tire lawn mower/tractor type that the parks department uses. But that is not allowed and would be cited. 

Wheelchair with tracks should get around that:

wheelchair with tracks.png

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1