Crazy Cool Sand Scoop

On 5/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, phrunt said:

Ok, sounds like a bad idea after all, just made it look so easy in the video 🙂

I think a lot of that may depend on the sand perhaps? A Gold Coast in Australia where I lived near the sand was soft and light, every step you sank in the light soft sand, I can understand in firmer packed sand it wouldn't be too good but might be OK in Gold Coast style sand.

here is the one you need phrunt

• Like 2

Wouldn't work in Galveston.  The sand is packed, not loose like that sugar sand.  The leading edge would dig in and the wet sand would pile up in the mesh.  Or it will just bounce along the surface.  Doesn't look like much fun.

• 4 months later...

Anyone know where to get the particular one in the video?  I’ve searched and found several but not exactly like this one. True - maybe it doesn’t work on so CA beaches because of our type of sand. My xtreme big scoop doesn’t even shake sand out like others I see in YouTube videos. Holes not right size? I never get around to finding out why.

This how I got interested in metal detecting. When I was a child in the 60's we use to go surf fishing in Santa Monica and, as someone posted, we had sand crab catchers that we used to get bait. I would drag it in the dry sand to find coins along with thousands of cigarette butts. In the 80's I fabricated something similar with a long handle and I would drag it in shallow swim areas looking for jewelry. I did have some success with it but it was very strenuous work. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bklein said:

I have been messaging with a guy in Brazil about these. The one for the dry sand is different than the one used in the waves. I’ll probably try making one and look like a fool using it.

Put on a Fluro vest and get embroidered on it Beach Cleaning Crew or something 🙂  People will think you're great cleaning the beach, a new government service. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Put on a Fluro vest and get embroidered on it Beach Cleaning Crew or something 🙂  People will think you're great cleaning the beach, a new government service. 

And don't tell your wage 🤣

• Haha 3