Gold Ring Id's High Number

Just found a ring nicely stamped inside the band .375 with a couple other hallmarks next to it, too blurry to identify.

It was found in the saltwater. 

It rang up as a 57 -59. I thought it must be a piece of copper or brass before I dug it, but it turns out to be 9K and weighs 5.5 grams. I checked it in some other search modes and it's the same. I'm just really surprised it ID's so high.

I also checked it with my Nox 800 when I got home, and it IDs as 20. I don't think I have found a 9K ring in years and was curious if anyone else can check a 9K if you have one and see what it ID's as. Thanks Bob 

9K ring 5.5.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, okara gold said:

Just found a ring nicely stamped inside the band .375 with a couple other hallmarks next to it, too blurry to identify.

It was found in the saltwater. 

It rang up as a 57 -59. I thought it must be a piece of copper or brass before I dug it, but it turns out to be 9K and weighs 5.5 grams. I checked it in some other search modes and it's the same. I'm just really surprised it ID's so high.

I also checked it with my Nox 800 when I got home, and it IDs as 20. I don't think I have found a 9K ring in years and was curious if anyone else can check a 9K if you have one and see what it ID's as. Thanks Bob 

9K ring 5.5.jpeg

That is surprising....nice score.

7 hours ago, midalake said:

Wait till you buy a Deus2 and a big white gold 10K chunk rings in at 98.  

😂 HA!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TampaBayBrad said:

That is surprising....nice score.

😂 HA!

Thanks! For sure I was really surprised. Never expected that to show up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, midalake said:

Wait till you buy a Deus2 and a big white gold 10K chunk rings in at 98.  

Not too familiar with the Deus2, but I used one last year for a few hours and just didn't care for the little screen and external wire when in the water. I wonder why a ring like that would ID so high? 

31 minutes ago, okara gold said:

I wonder why a ring like that would ID so high? 

100+ year old 14k ring dug in a field was a 79. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, okara gold said:

37.5% gold the rest is alloy... pretty ring and a nice find none the less..

strick

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

100+ year old 14k ring dug in a field was a 79. 

3 hours ago, okara gold said:

I don't know. There are other hunters that have experienced numbers of all kinds with gold and the Deus2. I have not acid tested it but it looks real to me. Probably the added silver to make white gold? 

What is 10k white gold mixed with?

White gold is generally alloyed with silver and/or palladium. A common composition for 10 karat white gold is 41.7 percent gold, 47.4 percent silver, 10 percent palladium, and 0.9 percent zinc.Dec 6, 2022
  • Like 6

Size matters.  I doubt your result has much to do with tweaking the composition.  Steve H. has written about this (VDI vs. size) more than once.

BTW, I think the Manticore's All Terrain Low Conductors (what people are already abbreviating 'AT-LC') shows good evidence for this.  In my test garden AT-LC does slightly worse than All Terrain High Conductors (AT-HC) on a buried Jefferson nickel (ID 26-27 on the Manticore or 12-13 on the Equinox) in my moderately mineralized soil when settings (e.g. sensitivity, recovery speed) are set the same.  Is AT-LC intended for small targets like small jewelry??

Quite a nice find!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

.  Is AT-LC intended for small targets like small jewelry??

Quite a nice find!

Yup. From the manual...."Inland detecting optimised for small or thin metal targets such as hammered or cut coins and fine jewellery."

• Like 1