Pi Detectors Rule For Gold, Mostly, I Have Another Target In Mind

We are off to Norway in July for two months. I will have a couple of (I hope) well chosen detectors for the usual run of field, meadow, park stuff.

One thing though. there are things older and deeper than my VLF's will find. I detected in Norway a lot in the 90's and found nice stuff, but I didn't have anything which could go to depth on any metal targets which existed.

One interesting thing (sadly) in Norway's history is that th eBlack death hit Norway very hard. about 65% of the population died. Unlike more settled village and town settlement patterns in Europe which helps recovery, the Norwegian population was largely rural on individual farm sites.

the place names all over Norway are sprinkled with places, now often in the forest - Called ødegård - old abandoned farm.

Having a detector which could double VLF depth in all metal could be a really interesting exploratory tool. Mind you, any objects dating from the mid 1600's are National treasure, but I am not looking to supplement my vacation budget and I would fully comply with the rules about that.

I am thinking a ML PI with a more modern battery arrangement which I could manage to legally get on the plane. I don't care about small gold - there isn't any - Would an SD be fine, or is there a reason to go to the GP or GPX range. light is better and old lead acid or other bulky batteries are not good for air transport or my old bones.

Your thoughts.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Pi Detectors Rule For Gold, Mostly, I Have Another Target In Mind

The GPX series batteries are 18650's inside an alloy housing and marked 7.4v 9.2AH and can be taken on planes.  Not sure about the older GP's but they will be gel cells or something being that age, not sure how planes go with batteries like that?

Buying one of those older SD series you can bet the battery won't be much good unless someones replaced it fairly recently.  I'm sure you'd want good battery life.  I'd personally go a GPX with an aftermarket lightweight battery system.  The GPX 5000 even has a super deep coin and relic timing for milder soils that is far deeper than any other timing on a coin size target, the 5000 also handles EMI reasonably well, put on a DD coil and it's pretty damn good, an AI coil and it works in heavy EMI.

• Like 6

Skip the lead acid batteries and grab a 6v Lithium battery. Capacity of around 7.5Ah is plenty of run time…..at least 8 hours. I run my GP3500 on these……super light and quick to recharge. Remember you don’t need a fancy regulated battery (from the GP3000 onwards….all regulated internally). Also, the old “dome” battery connect to the lithium batteries but are too big to physically mount to the lithium battery (unless you choose a higher Ah battery which then becomes physically bigger). The battery / headphone connector one in the photo is from an old SD2100 setup but they are easy to make yourself if you can basic solder. The 6v lithium batteries are cheap….depending on capacity. Mine was about $60 Aussie dollars. Grab an amplifier if you want to use an external speaker otherwise not needed for headphones. Have a great trip.

IMG_1370.jpeg

• Like 6

Gpx 5000 you can use 7.4v 8000 mah lithium. Is lightweight, plus you get much less emi.

The remote control vehicle ones work well. Goldhound had a good post on this but I cant find it.

There are many makes but they are like this

https://www.amazon.com/HOOVO-Connector-Helicopter-Airplane-Quadcopter/dp/B07V5FZV2M/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=N6PH1RPB8I3M&keywords=2s+traxxas+lipo+battery+10000mah+7.4v&qid=1683904030&sprefix=2s+tracxas+lipo+battery+10000+mah+7.4v%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-5

• Like 1

Perhaps the Garrett Axiom is an alternate worth considering, good range of OEM coils, discrim. DD,  light, ergonomic, cordless, powerful with easy to get at settings. I cannot say how it would go as a relic detector, I only chase gold with it downunder here.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Norvic said:

Perhaps the Garrett Axiom is an alternate worth considering, good range of OEM coils, discrim. DD,  light, ergonomic, cordless, powerful with easy to get at settings. I cannot say how it would go as a relic detector, I only chase gold with it downunder here.

I would think the DIV CW crazies (oops, bad choice of words) who go to Culpeper and are rabid (there I go again) about finding as much good stuff as possible in a short amount of time would be knowledgeable on relic PI detecting.  Even if they haven't used every model they see others swinging all varieties of PI's.  I suspect some here can already tell you what the Garrett Axiom is capable of in that trying environment.  @Chase Goldman and @abenson are two here I bet can give you some indication.

You didn't mention cost limitations but did say weight is a concern.  Keep in mind that some gold detectorists are willing to swing a 7+ lb GPZ7000 so 'lightweight' to them has a different meaning than for most of us.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Keep in mind that some gold detectorists are willing to swing a 7+ lb GPZ7000 so 'lightweight' to them has a different meaning than for most of us.

Thanks for bringing that up, it often goes forgotten.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

(Yep, Chuck we're crazy but bet you'll get a kick out of this find).

You got that right and I wonder why you've been hiding it from us.  I'd have been bragging on the forum a day or two after getting home.  As I mentioned fairly recently where someone found a 1923-S, pre-1925 SLQ's with date showing at all are tough finds.  Yours is a (relatively speaking) common date+mintmark but the condition is superb for a circulated coin.  I'm not going to attempt a (likely) innaccurate grade, but look at those stars on the shield, detail in the chain mail vest and rest of the clothing.  How about the beading around the rim?  Probably not a 3 digit valued coin (on an open market like Ebay -- worth looking though) but easily 10x bullion value.  And then there's the display value.

• Like 1